1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AEB on the M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sammyboy, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Sammy, what QR do you use? I have a Kirk PZ130, and it works great, stays out of the way of the tilt screen. It's worked on an S90, LX5, EPM1 and now EM5. :smile:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Can you please explain where exactly in the manual is this described?

It seems odd that nobody found as yet how to do BOTH timed AND auto sequenced shots with the OM-D. I'd personally freely admit of being an idiot, if you could kindly point out the page(s) in the manual describing such a procedure.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I can figure out how to use the 7 AEB with the 2 sec delay using high speed, but I have to hold the shutter button down....I'm guessing you want to know how to do it by only pushing the shutter once?

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Yes; and I admit it's the only thing I miss from Canon. If you'd ask me 6 months ago, I'd laugh, but now I consider my OM-D better in EVERY respect (for my needs, I haste to add, in order to avoid the Forum Police), than ANY Canon APS-C I've used. Except for this tiny infuriating feature.

On the Canon, you set the timer indepentendly from multi-shot. That way you could (in theory) set the camera somewhere stable, set the timer and take 3 bracketed shots. What infuriates me is that, the OM-D could even do this hand-held, with any lens, due to the phenomenal IBIS.

I resort to a remote (helpful anyway) but I'd really like to be able to isolate timed release with multi-shot. I'd be very happy to find a work-around for this. :redface:

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Agreed that would be a nice thing to be able to do...not that I would find it a dealbreaker.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Of course not. And, just because I'm probably strange, I also find the way Olympus does things pretty intuitive. E.g. although most agree that Canon has a very neat menu system, I actually prefer Olympus', with the SCP and "context" menus running bottom/right of screen.

I guess if you really love the general way a piece of gear performs, you somehow have an unwritten "right" to bitch about it now and again, yes? Esp. if it falls into the category of "infuriatingly good". :cool:

8. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    This is certainly an wanted feature as you describe it. But some elaboration on your part would be appreciated. If there was a way to press and release the shutter button and a bracketed sequence to commence after two seconds, that really IS a find. I've looked everywhere in the manual but it could be tucked away somewhere obscure. Wouldn't be the first time I couldn't find it IN THERE.

MANY WANT THIS FEATURE, give it up!

9. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    :horse:

And how many shots does your camera take after this 2 second delay after fully depressing the shutter for 1sec?

I tried doing this with and without the manual in hand, no difference in camera functionality. :wink:

I don't want it to seem like we're ganging up on your procedure... but we're just not able to replicate your discovery! I can easily do AEB with timed release or anti-shock or both, just not in a burst. How do you do it?

Oh, the bad news: your shots are 2 seconds apart. Why do you call 0.5fps Hi-Sequence? The camera might be in that mode, but it doesn't reflect what it does...

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    C'mon Sammy tell all.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I, too, would appreciate a clear and easy to follow description of how to do this. It would be immensely helpful to a lot of forum members.

12. timgoesusa

timgoesusa Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2011
    Amsterdam
  13. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    2 sec timer & 12 sec timer are single-shot drive modes... maybe you're referring to anti-shock 2 sec. But you'd still need to hold you down the shutter, and you've got 2 seconds between each frame.

I'm quite interested to see how this works, as I presume you're not trolling. :popcorm2:

14. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Well, let's not gang up on Sammyboy for no reason. His solution is somewhat different than what he previously presented, maybe we'll get more insight in what is meant through some of these posts.

I personally don't care too much for that function, auto AEB burst with delay...

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, I suspect he thought he discovered something & is trying it out again, but if there is a hidden bit of detail within the firmware of the camera that can do this, then I'm all ears, but if it didn't work, that's Ok. It can happen to the best of us. :doh:

16. Ross the fiddler

It wouldn't be a sticking shutter button that is giving this result, would it? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  17. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I'm excited to hear how it works if he can replicate it. If not, no loss.

Let's hold back on the personal attacks.

18. michaeln

michaeln Guest

19. Ross the fiddler

I still don't get how it goes into burst mode with bracketing if you've set the drive mode to the 2 second delay, unless that is now a feature of firmware 1.2 as opposed FW 1.1 which would be ideal if it is.

BTW, for the rest of us (on FW1.1), if there is no cable remote available, bracket burst can be achieved (with drive mode set to Sequential Hi & with no Antishock delay time) by using the touch screen method (as well as selecting the focus point). Because it is capacitive & not resistive & with the camera mounted on a tripod, the screen can be touched (with a light touch) continuously until the sequence of shots are taken without the physical pressing of the shutter button causing physical movement to the setup.

20. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I'm also on 1.1 and can't seem to get this to work. Can anyone else with V1.2 confirm that this works with the 2s timer? Might actually make it worth the risk to update the firmware...