Advice re my lens requested.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fiddler, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I noticed yesterday that my Pany 14-42 lens has a mark on the inside of the front element. I suspect that it might be fungus. I'd be very grateful if anyone can advise what to do if that is the case. It doesn't actually look yellow as it does in the pic - that's due to a white balance issue. It actually looks translucent silvery. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Odd. Fungus generally spreads from the walls of the barrel to the lens and looks like a spider web. I've no idea of what this is. My guess would be either a faulty glue between 2 lenses, or some moist trapped between the front lens and the 1st aspherical element (see diagram here Olympus - Caractéristiques). In any case, it's bad. You should seek professional advice or try to use your warranty.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It looks like a water mark, are you sure it's definitely on the inside?

4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for your replies. On closer inspection it looks like it could be outside. It might have caught a drop of rain the other day when I was out. Doesn't seem to show anything on images. It won't clean off with the lens pen. If it is a water spot, is there anything I can do, or should I just forget about it? Thanks again.

5. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Try a tiny spot of lens cleaning fluid, applied very gently with a cotton bud, not direct from the bottle (to avoid accidentaly flooding the lens). Then very gently rub in a circular motion with a microfibre lens cloth.

I get similar marks frequently when using my E-3 in the rain or close to breaking waves. The other day my daughter blew a raspberry at the lens as her objection to being photographed, spraying it liberally in the process. I always use a clear filter for these reasons and am not quite so careful when I clean (a filter is easily replaced). I tend to breathe on the filter, through my nose rather than my mouth (don't want any more spray on it) and wipe with a lens cloth. Works a treat, but not sure I'd do this on the actual lens.

Good luck. :smile:

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm old school.
    I use a lens cleaning tissue and breath from my mouth.
    Hold the lens closet to your mouth and breath on the glass. Clean with the tissue.
    Every Leica Len I ever used/had was cleaned this way.
    My 40 yo Crons are like new....

PS... Don't drink beer before this procedure!

7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

thanks very much for the advice - lens is as good as new! A drop of lens fluid did the trick. I suspect that a breath of air would have worked too.

8. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Glad to hear it. :smile: