1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice re flash on a boat at night

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by 350duser, Jan 26, 2014.

1. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Need some advice please.

We have a night party on a boat. It will be on the deck and in the cabin. Roughly 100 people. Will be floating along the city with some city lights. Apparently has "full sund n lighting system" Not sure what that entails.

Advice on using the flash: (Gear : EM5, EM 1, FL 600R, 12-40, 25, 85)

1. Head on TTL
    2. Buy a flash reflector/softbox to use on flash when on camera.
    3. Invest in umbrella etc..... This is not paid so want to keep cost to min.
    4. No flash. Depend on available light n fast lens (25mm).

My plan is to keep it simple. Camera with flash plus a small softb0x strapped on. TTL with FEC.

What would you recommend?

Cheers

2. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    You have a fifth option as well that I would recommend. Use your clip-on flash (on-camera) to control the FL-600R off-camera with TTL. Hold the camera in one hand and the FL-600R in the other. You can also put a small softbox on the FL-600R to soften the off-camera flash if you want.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    What kind of shooting are you wanting to do for this? Event & candid photos, or posed/group shots?

My preferred way of working with events is usually bounce flash wherever possible with a Black Foamie Thing to flag the light appropriately. An FL-600R isn't super powerful for bounce flash, but it can do ok in smaller rooms.

If the ceilings/walls aren't workable with bounce flash, I'll fall back on a portable modifier like the Rogue Flashbender or a small softbox on-camera (I've used a 4x6" and an 8x12"). I've also used a flash bracket + mini softbox to get the light off to one side and soften it up without having to hand-hold the flash.

If all else fails, I'll go to direct flash, at which point hand-holding it off to one side is an option, and I'll do my best to keep it to just fill flash wherever possible to eliminate "raccoon eye" shadows and minimize how much hard flash shows up in the images.

Pretty much anything you can do to get the light off-axis (i.e. not right over the lens) and softened up or enlarged by bouncing it or diffusing it is an improvement. Sometimes it entails being creative too - bounce off a ceiling, wall, glass windows, people's white shirts, fire it through a tablecloth, whatever works!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    candid and a few posed but amongst the crowd.
    Worried that the 600R will not have the power to fill in thru a soft box outdoors at night? Any comments n that.
    I do have a canon 530ex2 which is more powerful but i will have to work on manual settings. Which may be ok as ambient light will not change. Will hve to be careful with my subject distance?

off axis is going to be interesting!!!!

thanks anyways

any more suggestions welcome

5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, the FL-600R in my experience isn't strong enough to go through a double-baffled 24" softbox as a main light, but it should be able to go through a mini softbox fairly effectively at short distances. Bear in mind that I'm talking about essentially fill flash here, as opposed to just sticking the camera at base ISO and f/8 and blasting everyone with flash as the main light source :smile:

Did you mean a 580-EX II? I would definitely bring it, having a second more powerful flash is a good thing, and if you find you need the extra power you'll have it available. Just make sure you know how to manipulate the manual power output on the fly. Worst case with manual flash and varying distance you may need to adjust it up and down periodically as you change position.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    A quick follow up to my post and a big thanks to jloden for pointing me to the Rogue Flashbender.

Got some great snaps using the EM1, 12-40, 75, FL600 on the flashbender handheld or mounted on a monopod(!!) at times.

Thank god for the flashbender as the ceiling was a dull grey/green and the couple of photos using bounce flash have a green hue.

Could also roll the flashbender into a snoot and take some great candids with the 75mm from a distance

• Like Like x 1
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    This is just calling for an extension lead and shooting in the style of Bruce Gilden

8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great, glad to hear it worked out for you :smile:

• Like Like x 1