Advice, Please: Websites to Sell Photos and Quieting Shutters

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by penfan2010, Aug 3, 2011.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I am covering a major event in September, and need advice in two areas:

1. Websites for Selling Photos - I need to post photos from the shoot so attendees can view, download and purchase prints afterwards. Does anyone have suggestions/experience using any of the sites out there? I have looked at Etsy.com, but was hoping for a site that displayed multiple images at once.

2. Shutter Noise - I can't remember if this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum, but it would be better if I used a relatively quiet camera for this event. I did a practice shoot last weekend with my E-PL1 and it is pretty noisy. If I recall correctly, the Oly shutter sound is all mechanical, so there is no way to dampen/soften via camera controls. The G2 seems quieter, and as I am still new to it, I am not sure if there is a way to further dampen the sound, recognizing that it will not go away completely because of the natural noise from the shutter mechanism.

I guess my ultimate back-up would be to shoot mostly on film with my Leica M3 and Canon QL17, which both have fantastically quiet shutters. I can use one of the :43: for exposure checks throughout the shoot. Subjects won't be moving fast so no need for fast AF (I was going to use MF primes anyway on the :43: bodies). That said, I would prefer the simpler workflow of shooting 100% digital with the :43:s.

Thanks in advance.

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'm not sure there are any quiet M4/3 cameras - every one I've had has been quite audible (GF1, G1, GH1, E-p1,2,pl1). Quietest camera I've heard is my K-5 - sounds like a warm knife smacking a stick of butter, a satisfying, barely audible thunk.

Maybe some sort of light fabric wrap would help with the sound?

• Like Like x 2
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    You might check out Smugmug. Very flexible. If you want to make money, you need to get the Pro version. If not, viewers can order prints through the store.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Plus one for the K-5. Warm knife and butter and all of that. Pair it with the DA* 50-135 F2.8 (silent focusing, if a touch slower than the top Nikons and Canons) and Bob's your uncle.

6. NicolasGOD

NicolasGOD Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Riyadh, KSA / France
    Quiet : Leica M8

• Like Like x 1
  7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Agreed! A little too pricey for my purposes, though.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    As much as I love my 50-135 if I had a do-over I'd seriously consider the sigma 50-150 - after having the 120-400mm with the HSM, I'd prefer it over the SDM (seemed faster, though nothing to directly compare, and not just quiet but completely silent...unless I'm going deaf, haha).

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    My favorite online photo printing site, Mpix, offers a service called Zenfolio.

Mpix.com - About Zenfolio

I've not used Zenfolio but I love the quality of Mpix prints.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Also, you can order prints directly from Flickr (via Snapfish) if you set the permissions to allow it.

• Like Like x 1