Advice Please on Selling My Legacy Lenses.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gyles, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    I'm thinking of selling off my legacy lenses to help purchase a Olly 45/1.8. I love the feel of my Hexanons but the reality is I hardly ever use them. I spent time and money on them but my native glass collection has remained static.

How best to describe their condition? I want to be fair and accurate. I hate receiving used items that are a long way off of the sellers description. What is the best way to value them. I'm in the UK so the market is a little restricted. EBay can be a bit hit and miss as lots of buy it now's are IMO overpriced.

Cheers.

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Do not look at Buy it Now prices. Best to look at Ebay sold listings at auction to see what people are willing to pay for them.

From Ebay sold listings:

200mm 3.5 been selling for ~50$ mint with authentic case+caps
    135mm 3.2 for 40-60$ mint with authentic case+caps
    50mm 1.7 for 20-30$ with authentic caps
    40mm 1.8 for 30-40$ with authentic caps
    28mm 3.5 (depends on what version you have, older ones for 30-40$, newer ones for 15-20$ with authentic caps)

That's what I would value them. Prices can fluctuate based on the location you are in and whether you can sell them locally. Kind of depressing when thinking about the fact that selling all these beautiful lenses may not even fund the one lens you want.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    28/3.5 is the newer version.

40/1.8 only one version.

50/1.7 is a little rarer, being the f16 with half stops and closer minimum focus.

135/3.2 comes up occasionally.

200/3.5 not seen another one since I picked up mine. Newer version.

I know what you mean, but I'd get more use from 1 native lens than I would from 6 legacy ones.

4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    If the 200 is in good shape I'd be interested. PM me.

5. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    The older Hexanon 50mm 1.7 is worth a bit more because of the half stops and the 0.45m min focus distance (compared to 0.55mm on the new 50s). Optically, I think they are identical. What is kind of neat that people do not actually realize is that there are in fact 1/3 stop aperture settings between 1.7 and 2.8 and then half stop settings after that.

The 45 Oly is a great (and little) lens that you will not be disappointing with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Also the olly 60/2.8 macro is on my list. Versatile lens.

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well I am interested in the 135/3.2 you got.
    I might be in the 28mm also, but not sure since I already have the 24mm
    The rest on your list I have too, Nice lenses
    I am thinking of selling one of my copies of the 40mm that I have for $42 and the one 200mm/3.5 lens (no case). I am going to list my 200mm for $35, since that is what I paid for it 3 months ago.

8. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    I think postage from the UK to the US would be quite prohibitive.Plus prices in the UK appear to be a bit higher too, great when you.re selling be not so good when you.re buying.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Be totally honest about the condition and be descriptive. I would much rather have to read two paragraphs describing the little scratches and such than just a 1-10 value. Photos of the lenses are of coarse the best thing so do your best with that.