1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice on which camera/lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by toucan09, Sep 6, 2011.

1. toucan09

toucan09 New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2011
    Hello, I currently digiscope but want to change over to M4/3 or equivalent as basically Canon and Nikon outfits are too big and heavy. Thought it might be easier to get advice if I list my wants.

Bird photography
    Hand held
    Weight limitation
    largest zoom/telephoto lens available compatible with camera
    lens must have autofocus
    image quality is top priority to highlight feather texture of birds
    good viewfinder with diopter (LCD no good for lining up bird shots)

I have read about Panasonic series G, GF and GH but totally confused about differences. Also Sony NEX-5 and Olympus PEN.

Thanks

toucan09:smile:

2. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    M4/3 lens all have autofocus.
    There are 100-300mm F4-F5.6 (200-600mm equivalent) lens from Panasonic and 75-300 F4.8-6.7 from Olympus out there.
    Quite bright for a zoom lens I think (at least the Panasonic).

Panasonic camera have built-in VF, while PEN have an optional one.
    Panasonic lenses have built-in image stabilizer, while PEN cameras have in-body one.

So I guess both tick your check-boxes and choice goes down to personal taste.

Someone with bird photography experience, I am sure will pop-in and might give you more focused advice.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    (to my understanding) the best in class sensor, image quality and largest range of lenses PLUS built in EVF as per your requirements.....G3. Add a fully articulated touch screen which may or may not be usefull when getting into weird angles and positions photographing wildlife/birds.

Many posters here have been using the G3 for some time now and will be able to tell you mire than I about real world "hands on" use.

4. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I second the Panasonic G3. Panasonic GH2 is arguably a better camera than the G3, but I believe the benefits are more oriented to video. It's also physically bigger and more expensive.

5. toucan09

toucan09 New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks for advice. Which is the sharper zoom lens at 300mm and does the Olympus lens retain autofocus when connected to the G3 please.

Also how does the G3 stack up against the Sony NEX range.

toucan09

6. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Olympus lens will autofocus on G3. However if you're going for Panasonic Camera it's probably best to stick with Panasonic lens as they have built in stabilisation. Probably a good things to have for telephoto.

Panasonic 100-300 is supposedly an excellent lens. Review here.

https://www.mu-43.com/f102/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-100-300mm-f-4-0-5-6-ois-lens-field-review-13101/

Can't really comment too much on NEX as i'm not really familiar with them. I'm not sure you can get a viewfinder for them, and i don't think you'll get a lens which can compare to the Pana. 100-300.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    As I understand it...the Sony NEX series of cameras does boast superior sensor technology but in many, if not most cases, that benefit is offset by a relatively poor selection of lenses. Many have also taken issue with the NEX series menu based approached to manual control as opposed to the more intuitive buttons and dials.

I imagine that wildlife/bird photography means at times having to react and make camera setting adjustments quickly rather than being bogged down in multi-layered menus and potentially losing the subject/right shot.

Be sure to search the many threads on this forum for it is blessed with generous contributions from many knowledgable people. Speaking for myself, this forum has been an invaluable resource.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If you're after BIF ... I believe the image refresh rate of the Electronic Viewfinders will leave you sadly disappointed. (Unless the EVF's have significantly improved.)

G