Advice on upgrades? Or perhaps GAS councelling

vimar

Mu-43 Rookie
Me and my wife take photos and videos strictly on vacations, weekend trips or family gatherings. We are the definition of amateurs and lately she has even gravitated more and more towards her iPhone for photography (honestly can't blame her given the dynamic range and ease of use). I am contemplating upgrades but given our needs it is hard to justify spending more on new bodies.

What are some sensible upgrades at a low cost (£100-£300)? Or should I just ignore the GAS and keep calm?

Below is the gear we have:
  • Cameras
    • Pana G6 - I love this thing but it has poor dynamic range and lacks IBIS
    • Oly e-m10 mk1 - she loves it, I am very split on it. I love the form factor, build, colours, etc but the menu is dreadful, peaking is slow, I cannot use the touchscreen for adjusting the focus while using the viewfinder, no 1080@60, no electronic shutter.
  • Lenses:
    • kits: Pana 14-42, Oly pancake 14-42 EZ
    • Pana 20mm f1.7 II, Pana 45-150mm
    • some old fast primes for fun
Here are some thoughts I've had:
  • We don't need more lenses. The only two tempting options are the Pana 12-32mm for the wide end, and the Pana 14-140mm for versatility
  • 4k is cool but not necessary for us at all thus the G7 doesn't tempt me at all over the G6
  • GX800/850 (or GF7 if broadly the same?) - it is so pocketable and for £130 can be had with the 12-32mm. It might be fun to test having a camera in my pocket at any time and then sell it if not useful.
  • e-m10 mk2+ - the mk2 fixes everything that annoys me with the mk1 and bodies run around £150-200. The mk4 seems cool too but at that point the e-m5 mk3 might be better
  • G80/85 - this seems like a great option but it is not that cheap and makes me wonder if I should wait for the G90/95
  • GX80/85 - it won't replace any of our cameras, so it doesn't really fit here
I feel I might be too averse or not used to selling our own gear so I am not factoring the money I can recover from that. How much would the G6 and e-m10 be worth?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What problem are you trying to solve? If you don't know, then it's GAS.

FWIW, my wife has been shooting ZS-30, ZS-50, ZS-70 but is also more and more just using her phone. For example, with her Nexus 5X, SOOC no cropping:

IMG_20200308_082321-2- lores.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here's a 100% section:

Clipboard01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's good enough for almost any practical use of the image, IMO. So maybe your wife doesn't need any other camera. I have recently bought a Pixel 3a XL for my wife; that seems to be the sweet spot for phone photography these days.

vimar

Mu-43 Rookie
Just get the Oly E-M5-III and be done with wondering if you need anything better. BTW, the Panasonic G95 has been available for quite a while. ;)
Thanks. I know - I meant for it to fall closer to the budget :)

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
IMO I think you should decide what is/are the key thing(s) you are currently lacking with your existing kit. Do you want a more versatile lens, or a more up to date camera body with new features i.e. IBIS, size, touch screen focus, IQ etc.? I'm sad but I'd be doing a list of what I'm not happy with, the constraints of my current equipment and what is most important before coming up with a solution, and cost for each of the points. Then only you can decide how much the extra features are worth to you.

However, if its already too late, then I have either had, or still have, some of the options which you are considering.
I replaced my G6 with a G80 and loved the extra features and quality improvements over the g6. I would have kept the g80 but there was an offer on the G90 in the summer and I couldn't resist. The G90 has slightly better IQ but isn't as big an improvement as the g80 was over the G6. A G80 should be possible within your budget if you traded in either of your cameras.
I also have a GX80 which has very similar features and IQ to the G80 but in a smaller body. With the 12-32 it is the ideal travel camera - it's small enough to put in a coat pocket and isn't too conspicuous in towns. If I'm in the countryside I take either a Panasonic 12-60 or 14-140 for the extra reach. I wouldn't discount it within your budget as you could have the camera and lens.

I feel I might be too averse or not used to selling our own gear so I am not factoring the money I can recover from that. How much would the G6 and e-m10 be worth?
I buy the majority of my m4/3 equipment second hand and have sold both on ebay and also via trade in to dealers. This has allowed my to have extended "trials" of equipment and then keep the cameras/lenses which I prefer. I have used MPB several times to both buy and sell and as a rule of thumb they usually give 60/65% of what they are selling the equipment for. You would probably get more via ebay but MPB arrange a courier pick up from your home and you don't have to pay ebay fees so it is just easy.

Best of luck with your deliberations!

wyk

Mu-43 Veteran
The GX80 will replace both of those cameras. IBIS, much better dynamic range than both using raw images, haven't seen any shutter shock. Easy menus, great 4k, quick handling, small(I had to add a grip, tho). View finder is a bit crap. Especially coming from my EM1. But I think it's worth it for the 4k and better dynamic range alone. I got it because I found my EM1 was just a bit too big to fit in a coat pocket. So I often didn't have it with me. The GX80 is just small enough for my coat with a 20mm or the 14-42, but big enough to use without being too fiddly. Very responsive, and fun to use.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Me and my wife take photos and videos strictly on vacations, weekend trips or family gatherings. We are the definition of amateurs and lately she has even gravitated more and more towards her iPhone for photography (honestly can't blame her given the dynamic range and ease of use). I am contemplating upgrades but given our needs it is hard to justify spending more on new bodies.

What are some sensible upgrades at a low cost (£100-£300)? Or should I just ignore the GAS and keep calm?

• Cameras
    • Oly e-m10 mk1 - she loves it, I am very split on it. I love the form factor, build, colours, etc but the menu is dreadful, peaking is slow, I cannot use the touchscreen for adjusting the focus while using the viewfinder, no 1080@60, no electronic shutter.
  • Lenses:
  • We don't need more lenses. The only two tempting options are the Pana 12-32mm for the wide end, and the Pana 14-140mm for versatility
  • 4k is cool but not necessary for us at all thus the G7 doesn't tempt me at all over the G6
  • GX800/850 (or GF7 if broadly the same?) - it is so pocketable and for £130 can be had with the 12-32mm. It might be fun to test having a camera in my pocket at any time and then sell it if not useful.
  • e-m10 mk2+ - the mk2 fixes everything that annoys me with the mk1 and bodies run around £150-200. The mk4 seems cool too but at that point the e-m5 mk3 might be better
  • G80/85 - this seems like a great option but it is not that cheap and makes me wonder if I should wait for the G90/95

I think E-M10 II is one of the best budget cameras of recent years. Bought a 2nd one for 300 € some months ago. The newer models don't have MySets so they're a no-go for me. Not sure there will be such a bargain with these features ever again.

Somehow I just like Olympus cameras more than Panasonic ones, even if Panasonic is ahead in some fronts. Like low-light AF speed. GX80 has always been a bargain too and cannot go wrong with that either. They have different strenghts and overlap a lot of course.

You get IBIS upgrade with either, but Olympus might be a tad better.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The GX 800 series does not have IBIS, do any of your present lenses have OIS? I have a and use a GX80. No complaints.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran

• Cameras
  • Lenses:

G80/85 is a great choice, in particular for its great 1080 video and the fact that it has IBIS. Sell the G6. IMO the G90/95 isn't worth waiting for if you don't have a particular need for its changes over the G80/85.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom