1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice on submitting photos to contests

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by yekimrd, Jan 30, 2013.

1. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I was thinking of submitting photos from a local ren faire in the hopes of scoring some free tickets for next year's faire. However, when I was re-reading the rules online, it said that all photos submitted will become property of the ren faire. Is this rule common in photo contests? I would think that the photographer should always retain their rights to the photo.

Somehow, this rule does not sit well with me. I know I'm no pro but does that mean I could possibly not win anything but that they can still freely use whatever I submit for marketing purposes? That's like getting stabbed twice in the same body part. :tongue:

I've never submitted a photo to any contest before and would just want to hear what other people's thoughts are. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I think it's as you say; usually they do that so they can use the photos for promotional purposes. They did the same thing with the NJ festival of ballooning near here, running a photo contest for free VIP tickets but I'm sure the real impetus is to get quality photos for their website, emails, posters etc. :wink:

I'd just weight the benefits - if you're not a pro and not likely to sell the photos for another purpose, and you don't mind the possibility the faire would use your work publicly, I say go for it. Personally as an amateur doing this stuff for fun, I usually find it gratifying when people actually want to use my work for something, but I can certainly understand not being comfortable with losing rights to your own photo just for a simple contest too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If that's what it says ... then ... that's what it says.

The things to think about are:

1) As this is purely a volunteer submission and as you don't like the rule ... then don't have to submit;
    2) Even if you retained the rights, do you expect to do anything with them?;

I guess you have to decide what is more important to you, a shot at free tickets or the more likely possibility of having your photos all over every form of advertising you can image, without any form of compensation (even a photo credit).

3) If you were an attorney instead of a physician, you could sue the faire and have the language you prefer inserted in lieu of the offending language and pocket the $300 an hour you'd pay a lawyer; and/or

4) You asked them very nicely to be exempted from the offending language.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Now that I've pondered on it a bit longer, I would feel honored if they decide to use any of my shots for marketing purposes even if I don't score free tickets. But as Gary said, it'd be very unlikely that they'd give me a photo credit even. I guess that last point is what I find quite bothering.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's a nice way for an organisation to get free works that they can then use commercially or even resell to others without your permission or credit. That means technically YOU couldn't make a print or use it on your personal blog.

If you don't care, then fine. To me that type of behavoiur says a lot about the company behind the event and I would pass, or at least write to them asking why the feel they can just take all the images based on an entry form. Even though it's in the terms, they know most don't read them. It's sneaky and none of the reputable photographic competitions try this anymore. I'd pass and I'd try and let others know the consequences.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Put a watermark in the middle of the image ... mmmhhh ... maybe in a 78pt font.

G

• Like Like x 1
  7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks, Gordon! Very sound advice. And just to point out that this is not a reputable photo contest.

Gary made a very good point that even if I retain the rights, I probably wouldn't know what to do with them anyways. But then again I wasn't thinking about technically having my privileges to post it on a personal blog be revoked (not that I have one anyways) I'm sure they won't take it that seriously, would they?:eek:

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    :rofl: You're witty comments alone should be enough to elevate you to Legendary status. Hehe..

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... you read too much.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I think the ownership issue has become fairly standard when they are encouraging amateur submissions. Few people read the fine print an they get a bunch of images they can make use of in the future. While I'm not naive enough to think I'm giving up money rights or anything, the principle does bother me.

I don't upload my pictures on Facebook for similar reasons haha.