Advice on SSD/HDs, please

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
Any solid up to date info/best practice tips on the topic of onboard SSDs feasibility, does and don'ts, would be very much appreciated! I dont know enough on this to even know what to ask about. :whistling:

When purchasing an SSD, I have found Samsung to be the best. I feel they have the best reliability, and they include cloning software. As far as I know, none of the other manufacturers do this. But I recommend Samsung for people upgrading their C: drive just for that reason. However, they are also the most expensive drives out there. If you dont need the cloning software, or for other drives in your system, I think nearly any brand SATA SSD is fine. I have also used Kingston, Sandisk, Western Digital, and even ADATA without issue.
For your laptop's mechanical drive, you probably will struggle to find drives bigger than 1 or 2 TB though. As that form factor does seem to be moving to SSDs.

Hope this helps.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is the one I'm getting to replace my 500gb which is filling up. You need a 570 MB to get the speed though.

_mz_v8p1t0b_am_1tb_980_pro_pcie_1600796167_1593680.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Thanks for the replies and discussions, fellows. Having followed it with great interest and somewhat in awe, I have ended up with these two, litterarily in hand,
20210212_165433.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and these on order: 2x16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 SO-DIMM, cant really say I have a need for the RAM upgrade as such, but as I have some notions on looking into video in the following year, I thought I could do that whilst I am in the machine rummaging.

Also bought some sort of USB device for the NVME device for cloning the outgoing disc with Macrium reflect, and will probably just use a 2TB portable disc to carry the content of the D drive over and copy of the portable to the new D, when it is installed. Son #1 holds that to be a good option, and it sounds about right.

When all that is said and done, I think I will have a solid platform for the next few years, in some sort of combo with portable discs and that NAS thingy for home use.

Will most likely also set up a "work station" dedicated for editing, as of now I primarily work on the lap-top with the machine on some sort of Ikea lap-top cushion and on my lap, it works somewhat, but I think I could work more efficient with a proper place with a monitor and possibly some sort of printer, and not just dabbing whilst in the recliner in the living room, running a travel mouse on the arm rest...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom