advice on shooting Ski Jumping

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luke, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Hi All. This weekend I will be going to a Ski Jumping tournament. Sports action is so far away from how I normally shoot I thought I'd ask for some opinions and advice from this vast pool of knowledge.

I'll have an E-M5 and the 12-50 if it's snowing hard and will be worried about getting the camera wet. Then obviously I will be limited. But if it's not snowing, I have some flexibility. I'll have a 14-140 and may try some video. But stills is what i'm most interested in. So I think a 100-300 should come in handy as well depending on how close I can get.

Usually I'm a S-AF kinda guy but am wondering is C-AF might be better for the situation. These guys will be flying down the jump at 55 mph. I'm usually not a spray and pray guy, but am wondering about maybe doing some burst shooting to capture the moment. I'll definitely move around a lot to get some unique vantage points and different kinds of shots. There's only so many shots of guys flying through the air or sticking a landing that anyone needs.

Here's what the jump looks like..... Pine Mountain Ski Jump

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks you suggest. Maybe even a custom setting for fast action that I can go to for the jumping part and then just back to a more normal aperture priority mode for crowd shots. I'm all ears.

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I would guess try pre-focus and burst, but I'll leave the real advice to people who have experience... Anyway, looking forward to seeing the results! My family used to go skiing in the U.P. a lot and you could see this jump off in the distance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I've tried it before Luke and I agree with Fin. Pre-focus.
    I had only very few keepers using any of the AF methods. Pre-focus and a short burst worked best. It's handy that given the nature of what you're shooting you know exactly where the action will occur...something which would be a lot less predictable say on a football field. The only other thing to consider I suppose would be shutter speed and whether you want to freeze the action or have some movement blur...I think frozen action looks best in which case, a bright sunny day would be your friend in keeping shutter speeds fast.

Oh...try get down lowing possible as well, my favorite shots were taken from a viewpoint which showed not only maximum skier air, but a lot of sky too. Having some sky (blue hopefully) adds color and interest and a low viewpoint also helps accentuate the drama of the skier in mid-air.

Good luck mate...its like 97degF here tomorrow, I wish I could join you instead.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I just hope it's not so cold that I can't use my fingers! These nutjobs come from all over the world. Here's a brief clip.....
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lBQSN0Oj2yA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Lunatics !

Happy to leave that with them, take some photos instead and still have my beer and large bowl of poutine for lunch !

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    If you don't have sky in the background, try panning with a slower shutter speed to blur the background, too. The advantage is, as has already been said, that the flight path, and the focus distance, is predictable.

• Like Like x 1