1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

advice on shooting Ski Jumping

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luke, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Hi All. This weekend I will be going to a Ski Jumping tournament. Sports action is so far away from how I normally shoot I thought I'd ask for some opinions and advice from this vast pool of knowledge.

I'll have an E-M5 and the 12-50 if it's snowing hard and will be worried about getting the camera wet. Then obviously I will be limited. But if it's not snowing, I have some flexibility. I'll have a 14-140 and may try some video. But stills is what i'm most interested in. So I think a 100-300 should come in handy as well depending on how close I can get.

Usually I'm a S-AF kinda guy but am wondering is C-AF might be better for the situation. These guys will be flying down the jump at 55 mph. I'm usually not a spray and pray guy, but am wondering about maybe doing some burst shooting to capture the moment. I'll definitely move around a lot to get some unique vantage points and different kinds of shots. There's only so many shots of guys flying through the air or sticking a landing that anyone needs.

Here's what the jump looks like..... Pine Mountain Ski Jump

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks you suggest. Maybe even a custom setting for fast action that I can go to for the jumping part and then just back to a more normal aperture priority mode for crowd shots. I'm all ears.

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I would guess try pre-focus and burst, but I'll leave the real advice to people who have experience... Anyway, looking forward to seeing the results! My family used to go skiing in the U.P. a lot and you could see this jump off in the distance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I've tried it before Luke and I agree with Fin. Pre-focus.
    I had only very few keepers using any of the AF methods. Pre-focus and a short burst worked best. It's handy that given the nature of what you're shooting you know exactly where the action will occur...something which would be a lot less predictable say on a football field. The only other thing to consider I suppose would be shutter speed and whether you want to freeze the action or have some movement blur...I think frozen action looks best in which case, a bright sunny day would be your friend in keeping shutter speeds fast.

Oh...try get down lowing possible as well, my favorite shots were taken from a viewpoint which showed not only maximum skier air, but a lot of sky too. Having some sky (blue hopefully) adds color and interest and a low viewpoint also helps accentuate the drama of the skier in mid-air.

Good luck mate...its like 97degF here tomorrow, I wish I could join you instead.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I just hope it's not so cold that I can't use my fingers! These nutjobs come from all over the world. Here's a brief clip.....
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lBQSN0Oj2yA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Lunatics !

Happy to leave that with them, take some photos instead and still have my beer and large bowl of poutine for lunch !

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    If you don't have sky in the background, try panning with a slower shutter speed to blur the background, too. The advantage is, as has already been said, that the flight path, and the focus distance, is predictable.

• Like Like x 1