1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice on setting up EPL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Toonman, May 2, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Hi Just bought an EPL1 (new but old stock) for £279 (sterling). This is was bought to add to my Canon G11. Initial thoughts are.........the autofocus is shocking. I have firmware 1.1 installed on my camera body and 1.0 on the 14-42 lens. I am also surprised that you cannot make the green focus box stay small on a permanent basis. Does anybody have some tips on getting the best from this camera. Only had it for a couple of hours so not complaining just need a few pointers. Particularly noise settings etc and, do you have to unlock the lens every time you power up and down?

Thanks

2. You can leave the lens extended if you want but it is not going to be as portable when it is not collapsed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    You can leave it NR at standard for most shooting, if you want greater detail, go to low.

The AF is okay with the lens, but not fast. There is not much more you can do with AF speed unless you get a msc lens. Like the one on the epl-2 or the 14-150 or 40-150. As they have faster AF motors. The smaller box does make it a bit faster to AF then the large box.

You can leave the lens unlock all the time, it just makes it a bit bulkier. Personally I love that it locks down, makes it simpler to pack for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ismunn

ismunn New to Mu-43

May 1, 2011
    Worcestershire, UK
    It's taken me a while to adapt to the camera as well. I can say that 40-150 lens has a faster and silent focus, but the 14-42mm is useable. In terms of handling, I tend to keep it folded in busy areas, but mostly keep it open so it's ready to go when I need it. I keep it in the bag until I need it, and then after that, tends to stay around my neck.

Use it some more, you'll come to love it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    My lens firmware says version 1.00, is this the latest version ? If not how do I upgrade it?

Thanks

6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    yes if that is the plastic mount kit lens, the metal mount has a update.

7. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks Shoturtle
    I'll have a look when I get home.

8. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    I am afraid to say that I have exchanged my EPL1 for a Panny GF1 as could not set it up as I wanted. I know that the EPL1 is a great camera, it's just me. :(

Thanks everyone for your input and help.