Advice on setting custom modes for weddings.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gyles, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Hi guys, I've got a few family weddings to go to this year. I'd like to set the custom modes to deal with the differing scenarios throughout the day. The camera in question is my trusty old GF1 and I've never used the programmable modes before. There maybe alcohol involved so I'd just like so default modes I can turn to without to much thought.

Scenario 1 - 14-45mm outside, daytime, group shots both posed and candid.

Scenario 2 - as above with 20mm

Scenario 3 - 20mm inside good unnatural light, wedding breakfast, guests upon arrival.

Scenario 4 - 20mm low light party time. Thinking slow sync flash, with red eye reduction if this can be achieved.

Cheers.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    First things first:
    - Shoot RAW, particularly for the lower light/changing lighting situations
    - If you don't have an add-on flash, more or less don't bother using flash or accept that you'll get snapshot-y pictures.

What I would do for various scenarios:
    1. F 5.6, automatic metering (center weighted average) should provide good DoF for groups.

2. Wide open candid shots to take advantage of shallower DoF. I'd say a 45/1.8 would be a better companion to the kit zoom for candids, lets you keep a distance from the subject, less instrusive. But that's my style.

3. Nothing special required. Adjust aperture to taste.

4. Don't be afraid to switch to shooting black and white and bumping up the ISO. Remember that most of these shots will likely be used for online sharing, so a bit more noise is less objectionable. I also find that in 'disco' type situations with flashing lights and reflections you're best off setting everything manually.

• Like Like x 1