Advice on selling lenses

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by ssgreenley, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Well, I finally need to sell a lens. The problem is that I'm looking to sell a silver 75-300 (I). The silvers are still listed new for $900, but with the 75-300 II going for $500, I'm extremely doubtful I can get near that. Is this an eBay situation to see what the market will actually pay? Any other advice for a first time lens seller?
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ebay > perform search > left panel > "show only" > completed listings.

Red -> did not sell
    Green -> sold @ specified price.
  3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Yea, Olympus really screwed owners of version I. The 75-300mm should have been $5-600 from day one. For reference I have seen a couple black version I's listed for $400 so I would tend to think if you got $500 you would be very lucky. Sometimes you can make more on ebay if you are willing to sell to other countries (where lenses may cost more new), and sometimes you can make more in your local classifieds (but that can be hit or miss).
  4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    That is the cost of early adoption - this amount of loss is usually confined to camera bodies though and not lenses, which usually tick up in price over the long run. Unfortunately Olympus really did not price the lens competitively (or quite frankly properly at all) considering the panasonic 100-300 was around $500 new at the time, including being a faster lens with OIS. Silver is typically less sought after as well which will likely make it an even harder sell, even on ebay. Best bet would be try to sell on the forum to avoid the hefty 10% ebay fee. Yes, you might be able to sell internationally, but make sure you charge an appropriate amount, use USPS Express mail for proper tracking and delivery confirmation and most importantly insure for the full amount. Like I said, best selling on the forum, even int'l.
  5. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Thanks all. I'm not too hung up on the devaluation. Obviously I wish it was worth more, but I've made great use of it.

Although silver is less sought after, I think it's a bit better for me that it's silver. There's no silver mk II, and I have to hope there's a fashionista out there somewhere that wants their telephoto to match their other Oly lenses!

I plan to do some eBay sleuthing tonight and come up with a game plan. Time will tell!
  6. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I track the prices of used mft equipment on my blog. In the last 2 months, the highest price paid on the 5 sites I track is $475.00 (about the same as the newer model). eBay is not one of the ones I track due to crazy pricing. Sometimes you can get ridiculously high prices on eBay but consider the fees (12-15% including Paypal). Hope this helps. Good luck with the sale.