1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice on lenses for Olympus Pen Lite

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Sunflower, May 7, 2013.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Hello from somebody who is new to micro four-thirds. :smile:

I have an Olympus Pen Lite (EPM 1), with the kit lens. A friend is clearing out his stuff and has given me three of his old lenses. He tells me that they will adapt to my camera with a Canon to Olympus 4/3 adapter. Before I buy an adapter, please could somebody confirm that these lenses will actually fit and work with my camera? I do know that they will require manual focusing.

Sigma DL Zoom 75-300 mm. 1: 4-5.6
    Sigma DL Zoom 35-80 mm. 1: 4-5.6
    Tamron AF 24-70 mm 1: 3.3-5.6

Thanks in advance for advice.

2. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If they are EF lenses they should work. There will be no aperture control, unless you get the adapter that has the aperture rings in (faux aperture as the numbers won't be correct, but you can stop the lens down at least). The EF register distance is quite a bit more than mu43 so there won't be any clearance issues.

Here's an EF lens on an E-PL5 with the adapter:
    8583064479_181c3a2c62.
    P3230052 by Ace Ace Baby, on Flickr

3. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Thanks for your reply. Next question: How do I find out if they are EF lenses?

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yes, these will all work (with the caveats re: aperture control noted above). Bear in mind that adapted lenses made for larger sensors (or film) will be much larger and heavier than native :43: lenses. Even more so since these are zooms. This can be an issue particularly with the smallest bodies such as the E-PM series.

I would highly recommend that you consider an [thread=34762]add-on grip[/thread] for your camera if you intend to shoot much with these Canon lenses. Another upgrade you might consider is an add-on electronic viewfinder (EVF) which can make manual focusing easier and more accurate.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Easiest way: ask your friend who gave them to you. If they are auto-focus lenses and he used them with a Canon body, then they are EF lenses -- EF (sometimes referred to as EOS) is the name of Canon's mount used for any of their AF lenses.

6. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Thanks for replies. Could you tell me where I might get an adapter with the "faux aperture" rings. I've searched but not been able to find anything.

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is rather inconsequential, but I just had to point out that the EPM-1 is a Pen Mini, not a Pen Lite. Pen Lite models are labeled E-PLx.

9. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Thank you so much for reply, and excuse my late response - I lost the link to this forum and have only just found it again. :redface:

Many thanks indeed for useful information.

10. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Yes, exactly. Stupid me. :smile::smile:

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Do yourself a favor and sell those lenses, then buy the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7.

You're welcome!

12. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    That one is on my shopping list, but out of reach just at the moment. :smile:

13. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Instead of the 20, buy the 45 instead, you won't regreat it :)

14. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Unfortunately they don't seem to trade outside of the US, and I am in France. Haven't been able to find anything similar available in Europe. :frown:

15. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Eeek! I can't afford either at the moment. I just want to use the lenses I've been given, as well as the kit lens that came with the camera.

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Don't forget the 12 and the 75 as well. :biggrin: The 14 can be had cheaply, however.

18. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Very many thanks. I've bought one through Ebay.fr, as it will ship from the UK and I will have it quicker than coming from Hong Kong (and won't have to pay any duty on it). So nice of you to help. :)

19. Sunflower

Sunflower Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Susie Kelly
    Enough, already!:biggrin: