1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Advice on In-Camera Oly Settings for Film-Like Look

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by penfan2010, Jul 13, 2011.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Checked around the forum but did not see any related posts, so here's the question: how do I get more of the film-like softness on my :43: images using in-camera settings? In as much as I really love the sharpness and color of OOC JPGs on the Oly Pens, I find them jarring for certain subjects, especially now that I have started shooting film again for portraits or when I go street shooting. For general photography, the BW art filters are way too grainy and contrasty. I really don't wan't to bother with adding the effect in post, so any advice on what contrast/color settings to use would be much appreciated.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Have you tried simply reducing in-camera sharpness settings? (before you even touch the soft art filter) ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm not clear whether you are after colour or B&W settings. For B&W I also find the Grainy Film art filter a bit extreme. Maybe just try the monochrome settings, which also allow you to add various tints as well, and then adjust sharpness and contrast to suit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Exactly as he said. :2thumbs: Shoot raw also and play with the sharpness and saturation settings.
    Cheers
    Ed

• Like Like x 1
  5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Luckypenguin - both BW and colour, actually, so thanks for the advice. I do use monochrome and find that more pleasing, but will look at adjusting sharpness as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.