Advice on In-Camera Oly Settings for Film-Like Look

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by penfan2010, Jul 13, 2011.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Checked around the forum but did not see any related posts, so here's the question: how do I get more of the film-like softness on my :43: images using in-camera settings? In as much as I really love the sharpness and color of OOC JPGs on the Oly Pens, I find them jarring for certain subjects, especially now that I have started shooting film again for portraits or when I go street shooting. For general photography, the BW art filters are way too grainy and contrasty. I really don't wan't to bother with adding the effect in post, so any advice on what contrast/color settings to use would be much appreciated.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Have you tried simply reducing in-camera sharpness settings? (before you even touch the soft art filter) ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm not clear whether you are after colour or B&W settings. For B&W I also find the Grainy Film art filter a bit extreme. Maybe just try the monochrome settings, which also allow you to add various tints as well, and then adjust sharpness and contrast to suit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Exactly as he said. :2thumbs: Shoot raw also and play with the sharpness and saturation settings.
    Cheers
    Ed

• Like Like x 1
  5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Luckypenguin - both BW and colour, actually, so thanks for the advice. I do use monochrome and find that more pleasing, but will look at adjusting sharpness as well.