Advice on getting repairs to EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by judystowell, Feb 10, 2014.

1. judystowell

judystowell Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Hope someone out there can help. The electronic viewfinder on my EM5 is not working (user error - long story). I doubt I can fix this myself. Do I need to send my camera in to Olympus to get it repaired? We do have a local camera shop, but although they are licensed Olympus dealers, they don't sell the mirrorless products, so I don't know their level of service capabilities. It's not under warranty.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    You can try this..

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_servicerepair.asp

Most of the digital cameras these require sophisticated adjustment equipment that are beyond the technical abilities of the local mom and dad repair shops of the past. Therefore, they usually tend to send it off to one of Olympus' ASRs (sub-contracted repair service facilities) (at least in my town) and then have them fix for them. Why not cut through the middle man and send the camera directly to Olympus directly and they will be able to deal with your out of warranty service claims for a charge.

3. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    put your seat belt on, they will quote you around 260$ to fix the EVF, and they will take around 3 weeks to get it back to you

4. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    wait, what do you mean when you say user error, you never know, someone might know how to fix it!!!

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i would think it best to send it to oly
    i hear they are quick turn around
    and ive only heard a FEW negative things about their service. so id say its a good chance youd be happy with it... generally the negative people are the ones to post, ya know

oh, water this down with the above post :) hehe

good luck, tho!

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I guess that's from your past personal experience. However, from bikerhiker's link, the USA website is quoting a flat rate of $166 to repair an EM5. Did you go that route and have them renege on the deal?

I just had the shutter replaced on an EPM1 for the flat rate charge, which was around $90. I thought that was reasonable.

7. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    i got quoted 260$ for a evf repair on their usa site a bit over a year back. I also got quoted 140$ for the hdl6 grip.
    I'm not posting negative things for nevativity sake, that's what they quoted me. It took 3 weeks to get back to me.

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Ouch. That stings. I believe they went to the flat rate system after they closed the inhouse repair service last summer. It's now handled by outside contractors, They must get a lot of little jobs submitted for repair where they make more money with this process.

9. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Mu-43 Regular

I drove an hour to Oly's contractor in Toronto with two cameras needing repair, one was still under warranty, the other, my E-M5 was six week past the warranty period. The Left strap lug fell off but Oly would not give me a break & charged $182 to reset the strap lug. One camera came back by courier in two days & the other in three.

10. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it is an EVF issue, chances are they are replacing the mainboard, LCD & EVF. I had this happen to mine last year, and I wrote a negative posting about cause the package was lost for a month. Once they found it and fixed it no issues. I was under warranty tho. What firmware are you on? Maybe reflashing may help.. Dunno...

11. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Maybe there is another option than $260 flat rate service, get the VF4 for around $200, spend less and get higher res & larger view viewfinder!

• Like Like x 1