Advice on Central Park, NYC, as a photo location

lillefot

Mu-43 Regular
Hello,

I just visited NYC for the first time, and really enjoyed the city. I did shoot quite a bit with my GH2, but it was cold and surprisingly much snow.

So I have decided to come back, and am wondering if any New Yorkers on the forum could give me some advice on timing of the next trip:

I really would like to go there at a time where I am likely to hit the "best" flower photographing in Central Park. I'm not very into macro, but like to take pictures of flowers and blossoms.

Any input? Also wondering of what other hidden photographic NYC-treasures a local could tell a fellow µ4/3-photographer? :smile:

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
An enthusiastic ditto on the Botanical Gardens. I'd also suggest that late April, May and June would all be very good months to visit if you want spring into summer flowers. It used to be that on or about April 28th the Maple tree leaves would unfold, but lately it's been at least two weeks earlier. So much depends upon the weather trends which have been changeable lately.

You might also like to check out The Metropolitan Museum's Cloisters and while you're up that way you must see Wave Hill - from both places you'll get the extra benefit of fantastic Hudson River views. Check out Wave Hill's handy calendar to see what they expect for the different months: Gardens I think this looks as though should help you plan your flower photo trip.:flowers_2:

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not a New Yorker, I am a Brit' but can also recommend Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. The Japanese Hill and pond is very photogenic.

www,bbg.org

lillefot

Mu-43 Regular
Great, thanks all for your suggestions. I stayed on Manhatten the whole first trip, so time to explore Brooklyn obviously! :smile:

Now I just have to save money... :wink:

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx, Brooklyn Botanical Garden in Brooklyn, Wave Hill in the Bronx, Old Westbury Gardens on LI and the center of Park Avenue above Grand Central, the Garden in Central Park at about 105th St and 5th are your best flower options in the NY area. Spring will be starting in a few weeks first with crocus, the daffodils, flowering cherry and crab apple trees and tulips are generally the order of spring. The last week in May to mid June is Rose season the best garden in NY area is Brooklyn Botanical though NYBG (New York Botanical Garden) has a good rose garden too. I used to work at NYBG and Old Westbury Gardens as a gardener. Also sort of close to NY outside of Philadelphia there are two really nice gardens Longwood Garden and Chanticleer Pleasure Garden. Please feel free to ask me if you have other garden questions.

shoturtle

mid to late May would be a good time, April weather is hit or miss.

All good suggestion you have gotten. Anything else that you like to shoot?

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you are into shooting people as well as flowers, go to central park on a Sunday. It is closed to traffic and you see all sorts of activities from cycling, roller blading, impromptu sports, music combos etc.

shoturtle

If you want to have great views of downtown manhattan, DUMBO at empire fultons ferry state park and the adjacent city park are very good locals for shooting, also Brooklyn Bridge Park by the brooklyn promenade. Great stop for night shots with the lights and the bridge.

Christilou

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'll be going in mid May too so thanks for all this info :) My daughter says go to the "High Line" and was wondering if anyone has been and if it's worth a visit? Also, anyone know of a good hotel, there are just soooo many!!!

shoturtle

I go there allot to have lunch in the spring and summer, I grab something at Chelsea Market, and head up to the highline for a nice little retreat out of the hectic life of manhattan. It is worth a visit. THey kept the rail road track theme for the park. It is very nicely done.

craig1912

Mu-43 Rookie
I'll be going in mid May too so thanks for all this info :) My daughter says go to the "High Line" and was wondering if anyone has been and if it's worth a visit? Also, anyone know of a good hotel, there are just soooo many!!!

We are staying at the Hotel Chandler which seems to get good reports

Latest threads

Top Bottom