Advice on buying an used lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by briloop, May 12, 2013.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I am interested in buying a used Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens. The seller says that the glass is clear and perfect, no scratches, hazing or fungus. The focus works perfectly and zooming is smooth. The only signs of wear are some light scratches around the logo on the bottom of the lens.

How much should the discount be off the price of a new lens? 20%?
  2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I'll usually look at used prices on Amazon and recently sold items in similar condition on Ebay. If it is in the ballpark, it is a good deal.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't think you apply a general rule to all lenses. I would look around for used prices on the same lens on eBay, FM, or here. That should give you an idea of how much of a discount you should get. If I remember correctly, I've seen that lens go for 900-950 used. Having some signs of wear should make the price closer to 900usd, I would think.
  4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Same price as anything, whatever someone else will pay. Supply and demand. That lens is in rather high demand used (relative to its cost) and short supply (due to being fairly new). If the seller knows the market he will list it for $950 +/-$25 and likely sell it for that, assuming the scratches are superficial.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Mu-43 mobile app
  5. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    My rule of thumb is to start off with a 20% discount. Factors that push My acceptable price up or down include condition, if it's 3rd party, and how easy it is to find. Where it's being sold matters too since I'm willing to pay higher on FM