Advice on a used Oympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Xaradaisy, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Xaradaisy

Xaradaisy New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2013
    Hello folks,

I am a Nikon user and am thinking about switching to m43 system and OMD EM5 in particular.

I was hoping to get a used OMD. Are there certain things, recall, widespread defects, that I should be aware of when making the purchase?

Also, how difficult is it to get Olympus warranty? Is it transferable?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    The biggest issue is an insignificant crack in the LCD. It is usually tiny but common. Oly and Panny warranties are not transferable but can be made so with some co-operation from the original buyer and creativity.:wink:

3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I'm interested in buying used as well, I must have missed this LCD crack issue, I've always read about the cracked bezel? Not sure which part of the cam they are talking about...

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think you guys are talking about the same crack. I don't know of any crack in the LCD screen itself, but rather the thin bezel that surrounds it. The crack is at the bottom in the exact center (as if it is a relic of the plastic molding process). Mine is cracked and I don't worry about it. It's not really visible but you can feel it with a fingernail.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
  6. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Hi Tom,

No, first name is Dana, me and my wife/kids reside in Alabama now, recently moved here from Wisconsin, talk about culture shock! :eek:

7. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Why buy used? Newegg has new ones for $699.

8. Xaradaisy

Xaradaisy New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2013
    Dave,

I was at newegg but could not find the OMD. Can you please provide a link?

Thank you

9. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sold out! If you buy used make sure to get a copy of the receipt incase you need a warranty repair. I am keeping an eye on newegg. In the mean time I need to sell off my ep3s to make room and come up with the cash.

Btw: Cameta has refurbs for $759. I bought an epm1 from them back in feb. this past July my it started to experience a noise when turning on. Oly only warranties refurbs for 90days. Cameta adds a yr to that. So I got my epm1 repaired free of charge. So just make sure you get receipt on used gear!

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  11. Xaradaisy

Xaradaisy New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2013
    Is Newegg an authorized Olympus seller?

Will Olympus honor the warranty if purchased from them?