Advice on a GX80

ASBrooks

New to Mu-43
@Kae1, was the third image taken hand held? Quite impressive I love the contrast between the light and shade.
I think the 12-32 is more than adequate more my current needs.

Thanks all for the feedback, looking forward to picking up a GX80, the D200 and lenses are going on that well known auction site this weekend.

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Unfortunately not. It was taken without a tripod and I was holding the camera but it was resting on the hand rail with the rear screen tilted towards up to allow me to compose the picture. I also used a medium burst to "hopefully" get a couple of decent images. Probably a bean bag and using the timer could have improved the shot if I'd had more time.

I hope you enjoy using the GX80 - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
A little late to the party, but yes, the GX80/85 is a great little camera. For three years, I used a pair of them as my main cameras for my motorcycle photojournalism and have landed magazine covers and two-page spreads with the camera. Most of my photos in this thread were taken with the GX85.

12-32 kit lens is quite good too; several of my published photos were taken with it. Coming from your Nikon, you might miss some shallow depth of field opportunities but that can be fixed with additional lenses.

Best of luck.

Real Name
Mike
I fell out of love with my GX80 with 12-32 but after a year with it winking at me from a shelf near my desk I took it out and I'm loving it again! I take it with me when the G9 with PL 12-60 is too lumptious and I need something more pocketable and discreet. I also keep it in a coat pocket with the 9-18 attached on little expeditions when the big lump it slung around me.
While I was out of love, the used body value was too low to be worthwhile selling and now it seems to have mounted to the region of £200 so it seems to be better appreciated than it used to be.
Highly recommended!

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
This camera and lens got me back to photography and hooked me to it. I recommend it highly, just as the 12-32mm.

Last edited:

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
It's a great camera. One thing I don't like is that it automatically magnifies the focus area when you AF with the shutter button. This can be distracting when you want to retain the whole scene in the EVF or LCD. I don't think there's a way to turn this off, and the only workaround I've seen is if you set the camera up for back button focus.

If I were looking for a camera for stills, I would probably opt for the E-M10ii, which is similar in price, but IMO, has a better EVF and better handling (though this is subjective). The E-M10 is also lighter. Not that the GX80 is heavy, but it feels heavier than it needs to be. Some may prefer the heaviness, but I prefer as light and compact as possible.

Either way, both cameras are great bargains given their used prices.

Mooglover

Mu-43 Veteran
It's a great camera. One thing I don't like is that it automatically magnifies the focus area when you AF with the shutter button. This can be distracting when you want to retain the whole scene in the EVF or LCD. I don't think there's a way to turn this off, and the only workaround I've seen is if you set the camera up for back button focus.
I'm pretty sure you can turn this off, I have a g85 and it's pretty much the same except the body.

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
I'm pretty sure you can turn this off, I have a g85 and it's pretty much the same except the body.
If anyone knows how to do this on a GX80/85, would love to be able to turn this off. I've gone through the manual a couple of times, as well as just trying to adjust various menu settings (e.g., turning off MF-assist, turning off peaking, making sure I'm on AF (not AF+MF), etc.) but haven't been able turn off the magnification. I also did an internet search and found a similar discussion thread; the workaround in that thread was back-button focus.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Are you on Pin-Point?

1580690942682.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks! Played around with it this morning and that was it. With my Oly cameras, I almost exclusively shoot single point AF with the smallest AF target. Assumed pinpoint would be the analogous mode on Panasonic, but looks like anything less than an area AF mode will trigger the magnification box. I’ll play around with single area AF mode with the smallest area selected and see how that compares to Oly’s single point AF with smallest AF target.

Z750Jay

New to Mu-43
Went from a D90 to the GX80 as the D90 was just too big and heavy to lug about. Got one with the 12-32 + 25mm 1.8 kit deal. Did not get on with the 12-32 mainly as it had no manual focus so got a 14-42 G X plus a 45-150. Took me a while to get used to the set up - I tends to use AF-S and adjust manually if required. That was my “flying away” holiday kit that I took to Italy where it was great for the touristy photos .
Since then I have been finding that I do not really get on with the rangefinder style so have ordered a G9 which I find suits my ape like hands better. A 14-140 mk2 is also on its way from eBay

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Went from a D90 to the GX80 as the D90 was just too big and heavy to lug about. Got one with the 12-32 + 25mm 1.8 kit deal. Did not get on with the 12-32 mainly as it had no manual focus so got a 14-42 G X plus a 45-150. Took me a while to get used to the set up - I tends to use AF-S and adjust manually if required. That was my “flying away” holiday kit that I took to Italy where it was great for the touristy photos .
Since then I have been finding that I do not really get on with the rangefinder style so have ordered a G9 which I find suits my ape like hands better. A 14-140 mk2 is also on its way from eBay
You gave up the G90 because it was too big and heavy, and now want to get the G9 instead? :rolleyes:

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
There's nothing at all wrong with the 12-32 . It's tiny, weighs nothing, is stabilised and optically is actually pretty good. If it comes with the body, just get it.

Gx80 is a fine camera. I didn't enjoy the small EVF but that was my only real complaint.

MonikaO

Mu-43 Veteran
Great camera and lens even in the dark :)

ConcreteJungle.jpg

Glowing Archway.jpg

Focus on the puddle

Steentjeskerk1.jpg

In a very very dark church

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
The P42.5 is a wonderful lens, and inexpensive.

Agreed, the 42.5 on a GX body is a compact portrait sniper. No one around you will realize how much tele you have and the subject isolation is quite good.

With the easy flip up LCD, you can shoot the GX like a TLR. Good for left or right eyed shooters.

Z750Jay

New to Mu-43
You gave up the G90 because it was too big and heavy, and now want to get the G9 instead? :rolleyes:
It was not the D90’s body but the lenses etc that weighed a ton. That is the main attraction for me of the m4/3 system. Nice, compact, light lenses that I can use on different bodies.

cluber77

Mu-43 Regular
I’m also owner of the GX80, I have it more than a year and I’m loving it.
I have also the canon 70D and I really wanted to have replacement for my travel because the canon 70D is big and now the GX80 become my main daily camera.
My 70D is 5 years old now and I’m thinking to replace it with the G9 as my main camera in my business (I’m a children photographer in kindergarten)
The 12-32 is a great lens but for more zooming I think that the
12-60mm is better.
Btw I bought the camera in Budapest as a tourist 18 months ago and after tax refund it cost me 360€ including the kit lens

ASBrooks

New to Mu-43
Thanks all for your continuing comments. I'm pretty much sold on the GX80 now.
Iv'e been too busy with work in the last week or two, now I have some breathing time to begin looking again.

@MonikaO I'm impressed with the low light capabilities. The reason for having the D200 in the first place was because of it's low light capabilities. It's amazing how things have move on in a relatively short period of time (in my life time anyway)..

Latest threads

Top Bottom