Advice needed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by magicaxeman, May 1, 2016.

1. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Can I ask for your collective input/experience on a scenario I'm seriously looking at as I really need some help on this one.

EM5 m2, 40-150 pro on a powered tripod head ( I have a long extension lead for the head control) connected to MBP via 20 metre USB repeater cable, camera controlled by Olympus capture software.
    Camera would be unattended in the back garden as I'm stuck in bed 24/7 and want to shoot the wildlife/birds in my back garden which I can only view presently via a Y cam I have set up out there.
    I could use a shorter USB cable say 10 metres but would need at least that length and wifi is a no go, it won't work out there, I've already tried it and it dies if the camera is outside the bathroom window.

The other alternative is to use a longer lens and shoot out of the open bathroom window but the 300mm F4 is currently out of my price range so it would mean using the 1.4 TC with the 40- 150 and cropping heavily.

Are there any pitfalls or problems you can see with the first solution?
  2. Bassam Guy

Bassam Guy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2015
    Even though your gear is weatherproofed, it would be prudent to have some kind of housing to ward off rain spots, downpours, accidents, and wiring.
    Technically, your solution seems quite well thought out and should work.

I am not too familiar with "capture" but I assume you can upload/delete images, and have full exposure control. I have used OI Share on my phone and it has worked for my needs.

If possible, set up a trial indoors and work out the kinks before deploying to the back yard. Get real familiar with the equipment. You want no surprises after deplyment.

I am familiar with immobility. I am currently sitting in a hospital bed after a decade evading the moment I now face - awaiting a knife fight with a surgeon; and surgeons don't fight fair - I have no knife and will be under general anasthesia - no possibility to win.

Don't forget it is springtime north of the equator and plants are growing rapidly. Be careful the camera is placed away from potential plant growth.
    Personally, I am a cropper - not much printing and mostly only need web quality.

Good luck and keep us posted! I bet you have some great stuff coming.

Just thought of something else: if you'll have access to them, get your MySets ready for situations you might encounter.
    Last edited: May 1, 2016