1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by aznpapaya, Jul 23, 2014.

1. aznpapaya

aznpapaya Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    I'm leaving for Cancun soon and wanted to see if everyone here could offer some advice/suggestion on what gear I would need for the shot I'm looking for. First my gear consist of the Olympus E-PL5, 17 1.8, 45 1.8, and 60 Macro. I'm planning on taking a lot of sunset/sunrise and panorama shot of the ocean/scenery and of my gf and myself. I've seen some really cool dramtic shot of the ocean using a polarized filter and would like to try it out. I always like landscape photography and since I'll be spending a lot of time on the beach I figure I'll dip my toes in landscape photography.

I was planning on bringing my 17 1.8 as a walk around/all purpose lens. I was considering picking up a Rokinon 7.5 Fisheye for landscape, I heard Cancun beach is very pretty. Do you think it's worth buying the Rokinon for landscape or should I just take multiple shot and combined them in PS to make a panorama ? I was also thinking of picking up a polarized filter for the 17mm for the more dramatic and deep color ocean/sky shot. Can I use PS or Lightroom to create the same effect?

Any other gear I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestion.

2. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Personally I think a Polarizer is a must for ocean/sunny photography - it's not something you can really emulate in PP afterwards - I'd suggest the Marumi DHG filters as a good value option. If you've got money to spend pick up a VF2/VF4 as an EVF is handy for sunny conditions and helps when getting the polarizer rotated correctly.

I'm not lucky enough to own a 7.5 but by all accounts it's awesome and de-fishing works well.

3. aznpapaya

aznpapaya Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    I would get and EVF but I don't like to spening that kind of $ on a EVF, the fact it makes the camera look bulkier (to me at least), and because of the lost of the flash function.

For that price how does the Marumi DHG compares to the B+W Polarized filter? I own a couple B+W filters and they are very good quality filter, expensive but very nice.

4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Plan for the condensation problems. I would bring a nice pack of high quality large ziplock bags. Plan on warming the cameras and lenses outside in the bag before you open them up and start using them. Indoors is typically heavily air conditioned and outdoors will be like a steam bath.

5. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    If money is an issue, I might suggest the 9mm BCL that should work fine in the sunny beaches (though I don't know about sunsets unless you also have a tripod and can do longer exposures). Otherwise an Oly 9-18mm or a 12mm should be great. I only used the 20mm pancake in Cancun a few years back and that was actually fairly sufficient, though I wish I also took a wide angle lens.

6. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    A "sunset over the ocean" shot is going to be wee bit difficult given the geography.

It's been a while since I've been there so I don't recall if the bay is picturesque enough for sunset shots.

During the daytime you may want an additional neutral density filter (remembering that a polarizer can also serve as an ND). Consider your daytime shots and desired apertures. See http://www.calculator.org/calculate-online/photography/exposure.aspx

Similarly if intending any fill-flash (helpful with people pics in bright sunlight) know whether you can do high speed sync with your flash.

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I wouldn't get a fisheye personally, but then again, I don't care for them in the first place. On my recent trips to Play Del Carmen (and one night in Cancun), I took the 45 f1.8 for evenings and portraits and a kit 14-42 for landscapes. Partly didn't want to carry too much expensive stuff there. I only really went out for photos when the sunsets were nice or if I was up early enough for sunrise on departure day. I got some good ones, but mainly chilled at the pool/beach. I think what you have is fine...might not even need the 60, but it's not that big either.

8. aznpapaya

aznpapaya Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    I was thinking about the 9mm BLC but I heard the IQ of the Rokinon is superior given it's only $200 used. I think the 9-18 and 12mm lens is a litttle redundant seeing how I already have the 17mm and thinking of picking up a fisheye as a ultra wide alternative.

You have a point, I guess the sun will be setting in the opposite direction of the beach lol. I'm not really a flash person, I prefer to use camera setting to offset the harsh sun/shadow.

Being able to double and ND filter is another reason for me to buy the polarized filter....

How did the 45 1.8 work out for you? I havn't been using mine much because I just can't get used to the focal length. I'm also to used/comfortable with my 17mm lens. I was only planning on bring only the 17mm lens and the fisheye if I decide to get one. The 60 is staying home as I really don't feel like bring a tripod along lol

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I like the 45....great for pictures of wife/GF, food at restaurants or anything indoors. I use it for landscapes at home too, but did not while in Mexico. IF its not your length, then that's a personal thing. I feel that way about the 20 kinda.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would bring just one kit zoom for day shots (pref order: 12-50, 12-32, 14-42) and one fast prime for nights (17/1.8 or 20/1.7).
    Keep in mind that outdoors air will always have more or less salt and sand in it - not a good place to switch lenses.

11. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I've got both B+W & Marumi CPLs, both are excellent, I can't tell much difference other than the price (though Marumi do a "super DHG" version that is quite expensive) - Lenstip did a fairly comprehensive comparison of CPLs here that you might find useful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. aznpapaya

aznpapaya Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    I'll check out the review. Thanks