Advice needed on shoulder bag

I now have a Tenba DNA8 as a shoulder bag. It's a great product but since I have the 40-150 pro it's to small.

Yesterday I had a hike with my backpack to carry some of my equipment. I didn't like it.

If seen the DPR shoulder bag video but maybe someone with some experience with my equipment can give better advice.

I want to carry the following things with me;
E-M1 M2, 60mm macro, 12-40, 40-150 pro, tripod (Manfrotto befree), a filter holder, some filters and a bottle of water.

Not willing to spend hundreds of €. Does anyone has some advice?

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bags tend to be very personal. It also depends on whether you use the HLD-9 battery grip (which makes the camera taller) and whether you want to store the camera with the lens attached in the bag.

My bag of choice is the Domke Ruggedwear F-5XZ which I've had for the last 5 or 10 years. I keep trying other bags, and coming back to the F-5XZ. I got it because I prefer the waxed canvas bag rather than nylon and the bag is tall enough to allow a camera with a long lens mounted (24.64 x 23.37 x 10.16 cm) with the camera mounted with the back pointing up.
But the bag isn't great if I have a battery grip attached. Note, I don't own the 40-150mm f/2.8 lens, but at times I use the classic 4/3rds 50-200mm lens, which is longer.

Generally, what I recomend is taking ALL of the gear you want to carry down to a larger photo store (or possibly big box store) and try loading your gear into the bag and see how it fits on your shoulder. If a salesperson helped you during the selection, make sure you buy it from them. And IMHO, it you go into a store to try things out, you should buy from that store, because they gave you the extra value of trying it out in person (rather than trying to find it cheaper elsewhere).

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the battery grip and not planning to buy one. I would like to keep a lens attached to the body.

Your shoulder bag looks nice. Deep enough to fit the 40-150. But I see no option to attach a tripod.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the battery grip and not planning to buy one. I would like to keep a lens attached to the body.

Your shoulder bag looks nice. Deep enough to fit the 40-150. But I see no option to attach a tripod.
You are right, there are no tripod straps.

I suspect carrying a tripod on a shoulder bag (as opposed to a backpack) might be awkward because the tripod would jut out. With a shoulder bag, you have to watch out for hitting things behind you with a tripod sticking out. Perhaps the large gym bags would be big enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

Alpenglow

New to Mu-43
I now have a Tenba DNA8 as a shoulder bag. It's a great product but since I have the 40-150 pro it's to small.

Yesterday I had a hike with my backpack to carry some of my equipment. I didn't like it.

If seen the DPR shoulder bag video but maybe someone with some experience with my equipment can give better advice.

I want to carry the following things with me;
E-M1 M2, 60mm macro, 12-40, 40-150 pro, tripod (Manfrotto befree), a filter holder, some filters and a bottle of water.

Not willing to spend hundreds of €. Does anyone has some advice?
Hi,

Not sure if this idea helps since it looks like you are looking for one backpack to carry all of your gear, but I use the Tenba BYOB insert combined with their Packlite travel bag when I go backpacking/dayhiking. The two are made to be used together with the Packlite being foldable/stashable when not in use and they come in a few different sizes. I wear the combo sling-style over my shoulder/neck after I've got my backpack on and it's possible to get the camera in and out easily (which comes in handy since most of my trips are with our kids). When I do bring my tripod, I leave it in my main backpack where it is accessible when stopping. Most sling bags could likely work as a part of system like this, but the BYOB plus Packlite system is pretty lightweight which is nice when hiking! I only carry a GX7 and a couple of primes/filters and so have one of the smaller BYOBs, but I think your kit (other than the tripod) might fit in one of the larger ones (like the BYOB 10 or 13 insert).

Tenba BYOB / Packlite Collection

Hi,

Not sure if this idea helps since it looks like you are looking for one backpack to carry all of your gear, but I use the Tenba BYOB insert combined with their Packlite travel bag when I go backpacking/dayhiking. The two are made to be used together with the Packlite being foldable/stashable when not in use and they come in a few different sizes. I wear the combo sling-style over my shoulder/neck after I've got my backpack on and it's possible to get the camera in and out easily (which comes in handy since most of my trips are with our kids). When I do bring my tripod, I leave it in my main backpack where it is accessible when stopping. Most sling bags could likely work as a part of system like this, but the BYOB plus Packlite system is pretty lightweight which is nice when hiking! I only carry a GX7 and a couple of primes/filters and so have one of the smaller BYOBs, but I think your kit (other than the tripod) might fit in one of the larger ones (like the BYOB 10 or 13 insert).

Tenba BYOB / Packlite Collection
Thx, I'm going to look into it.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
The issue IMHO is your water bottle and I can speak about it from my very own experience. Since a few years, I always carry a water bottle of some sort with me. Packing it inside the bag easily takes up the space of a larger tele-lens, not even mentioning the weight. I have two shoulder bags: The Think Tank Retrospective 7 (the first version, not their new 2.0 design) as well as the Wotancraft Trooper "M", both bags don't have any external bottle holders, so my only option is to place it inside of the bags.

Both of these could handle your gear, even though it's a bit of a tight fit in my opinion or might require some more creative packing and devider placement. The Think Tank could carry a tripod under the flap, the Wotancraft can carry one placed beneath the leather straps of the top cover. The V2.0 version of the Retrospective bag also has a small bottle holder on the outside - it's the one which is also featured in the DPR video you mentioned.

Keep in mind a shoulder bag can be very heavy and straining with so much gear. Even a small, light 0.5l PET water bottle adds about 600g of weight, combined with just over 2kg of your camera gear, not even counting filters, batteries, accessories and last but not least your tripod, you might end up with close to 4kg for the bag, most likely more since most bags also weigh about a kilogram on their own.

With just some short research done, I think the already mentioned in the review Lowerpro ProTactic MG 160 AW II might be your best bet: It has a dedicated water bottle on the outside, it has dedicated straps on the bottom to attach a tripod, the inside is spacious enough to fit you camera and lenses, the pouch for accessories looks pretty tight, but for some filters and a battery it should be enough. Even if it doesn't, thanks to the straps on the sides you'd be able to attach another small bag or pouch. It's also rather reasonably priced: Lowepro has it on sale on their own store for 100€ right now.
Chris didn't like it in the video because he thought the bag was rather boring looking, which I agree, it looks just like a typical Lowepro camera bag, if you don't mind the looks, I think the functionality wins after all.

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Buy a dedicated thermal protected water carrier and wear it on the other shoulder. That's what I do; I do not want a water bottle anywhere near my camera gear!

And the advantage of this is that you have a camera bag that is ready to go, whenever you want it, without the weight and displaced space of a water bottle.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I was looking for something similar not too long ago and happened across the Think Tank Retrospective 7M. It's a special edition of the 7 2.0 with the laptop sleeve and zippered flap are removed. It seems B&H had Think Tank create it to bundle with some cameras (see the attachment for size / weight comparison with the 7 2.0). You can find them on eBay for a bit less, there is one on now for $110 new in the package.

Attachments

• 1622249122479.png
    1622249122479.png
    16 KB · Views: 17

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom