Advice needed on camera trade

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

New to this forum, I've enjoyed reading through all the great information.

I currently have a sony nex 5r and am thinking of getting a olympus 4/3. I found a person wanting to swap his epl5 with kit lens and Evf for my nex and 30mm lens.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the reply. I have a few legacy lenses that I would have to get new adapters but could use as well.

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
The seller agreed to include a nikon ais 50mm 1.4 as well. I think I am going to make the leap!

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Oh yeah, go for it.
The VF-2 is good, and your next step (after the trade) should be to spend that hundred dollars on a m4/3rds Sigma 30mm :biggrin:

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
So, I have another request for advice.

I am not familiar with the native lenses for 4/3 set ups. What is good initial purchase that is affordable and has nice IQ?

Like I mentioned earlier, I will have the kit 14-42mm lens. I also have some legacy lenses from my nex system: 58mm, 100mm, 70-210mm and 300mm. I mostly take photos of my kids, nature, landscape and general family gathering things. Any suggestions?

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
The kit lens is pretty good at the wide end, less so at the longer end. And you could certainly use a wider aperture as well. Depending upon your shooting preferences, I'd recommend either the Olympus 25mm, Olympus 45mm, or Sigma 60mm.

I don't believe your legacy lenses, will be useable on Micro 4/3 because they need electronics to control the aperture

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Doug. I will look into those.

My old lenses are old film lenses. They are mostly canon fd lenses plus an old Minolta rokkor. Can't I just get an adapter and use them on the e-pl5?

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Thanks Doug. I will look into those.

My old lenses are old film lenses. They are mostly canon fd lenses plus an old Minolta rokkor. Can't I just get an adapter and use them on the e-pl5?

Yes, you can use Canon FD and Minolta MC and MD mount lenses with adapters. When I said that you couldn't use them, I thought you were referring to modern NEX lenses, not film lenses that had been adapted to NEX. Any lens you've adapted and used on Sony NEX can be adapted and used on Micro 4/3 by changing the adapters, and they'll work the same way - except they will have more reach (2x factor as opposed to 1.5x factor on NEX).

snkenai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was not happy with the Sigma 30, on m43. It was a neat and compact lens, but just did not seam to have that extra "something" for nature, that I want. It tended to Focus on background, rather than main subject. I very much liked it, for focal length, and size/looks.

puckpack

Mu-43 Regular
I was not happy with the Sigma 30, on m43. It was a neat and compact lens, but just did not seam to have that extra "something" for nature, that I want. It tended to Focus on background, rather than main subject. I very much liked it, for focal length, and size/looks.

Thanks for the input. I loved that lens on the nex, it was on there most of the time.

I am intrigued by the oly 25 and 45, I need to read more and stop by my shop and check them out.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was not happy with the Sigma 30, on m43. It was a neat and compact lens, but just did not seam to have that extra "something" for nature, that I want. It tended to Focus on background, rather than main subject...
Mine is always on my e-pL2 body, it focuses every time on the subject, I use centre square only and often bounced flash indoors.
I don't aim it at nature much ... maybe it doesn't like flowers?

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro

Maybe you have a bad copy. That extra "something" is subjective so no argument with that, but m43 lenses shouldn't backfocus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom