Advice need on adventure travel gear.

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
Hi,

I'm off to Costa Rica next year so I've got plenty of time to prepare. I'm expecting to get pretty wet whilst I'm out there, hiking, cycling, rain forests, kayaking and white water rafting are all on the agenda. So what kit and how to look after it?

My initial thoughts are E-M1, O12-40, P20 & O60 macro or P20 & O12-50. The body and oly lenses are weather sealed and from what I have read are pretty tough. Also thinking about including a waterproof point and shoot I'd used something like Overboard Pro Sport backpack and duffel. Or just take the waterproof point and shoot and not worry.

Cheers.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Nikon AW1 perhaps? With any other camera on a river I'd constantly be thinking, "is the camera ok?"

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
I did consider the AW1 twin lens kit. The jury is out on this one.

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
hiking, cycling, rain forests, kayaking and white water rafting are all on the agenda.

What, you're not planning to visit the volcano, too? And don't forget the hot springs . . .

From my limited experience (one trip to Costa Rica, and I'd love to go back), I'd say you're right to consider weather sealing a must. There's a whole lot of wet going on. If you're interested in wildlife (and I recommend being interested -- cool critters there), you might want a longer zoom.

For going on the river, either take a P&S that you're not too attached to, or leave the camera somewhere safe and dry. I didn't kayak, but I rafted on the Pacuare, and there are some significant rapids. Even waterproof and/or in a dry bag, there's a chance of your camera getting bashed on rocks. Besides, most of the time you're on the water, you're going to be much too busy to take pictures. The scenery is gorgeous, though.

Real Name
Nic
For any type of canyoning or white water rafting where you're likely to completely wet I'd take a small waterproof P&S, particularly since you likely wouldn't be able to carry a larger system camera during those activities. I did some pretty cool activities while in Costa Rica (make sure add ziplining at Monteverde to your list as well) but not very much photography. Not a lot of opportunity and I never really got inspired.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Gyles, travelling with the E-M1 and related gear wouldn't bother me in most cases but the scenario you paint for us tells me you want a "waterproof" camera, not just a "weather resistant" camera. If you can afford a Nikon AW1, I'm sure you won't regret the purchase. It'll be a fine camera for general use as well. If you eventually decide you want to keep it cheap, you can't go wrong with an Olympus TG-3 or leftover TG-2. Another option is the Ricoh WG-4 or Pentax WG-3 (same basic camera) The bonus with the Olympuses and Ricoh/Pentax is that they are pocketable and plenty rugged. Keep in mind you'd be working with a small point-and-shoot sensor but the zoom starts at a fast f/2.0 for all of them.

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Yeah, volcanoes, mud pools and hot springs are all on the to do list.

Not sure how I'd feel about leaving my kit unattended. I certainly wouldn't get my m43 kit out whilst on the water, but would want something pretty decent for the rest of the trip.

There are some decent waterproof p&s out there for not too much money. Thinking of stashing my m43 gear in one or two small Peli cases, then inside a 20l overboard backpack......although still not convinced...lol.

Not committed to buying anything yet and we'renot going until next year so I've plenty of time to make my mind up. Perhaps a used AW1 twin lens kit will find its way on to eBay for a bargain price, bit better than a p&s but not as risky as a m43 kit. Could always sell it on again.

As for a longer lens only the p35-100 is weather sealed, although a used oly45-140 (I think) is a bargain. But that's another lens unless I drop the 60mm but that means losing the macro.

Grrrrr, I hate photography.

barry

Super Moderator
Hi, the 12-40 and 12-50 have basic macro.

Also, some pro tele lenses are coming, and will be sealed but large and heavy.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For rafting, get a cheap, disposable, doesn't matter if it gets destroyed camera. One of the Oly waterproof tough point and shoots for instance. The 12-40 is a great all rounder for everything else. No matter what you pack your other gear in, there's a not insignificant risk of the boat flipping and damage or loss. Even if it's just the impact.

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
A TG3 Is a must having done some reading.

Oly 40-150 f2.8 is planned for later this year.........too many choices. And so much for traveling light.

Looking UK prices, I could get an em5 12-50 and probably 40-150 pro for about the same money a an em1 and 12-40.

Latest threads

Top Bottom