Advice in 135 and adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Kpfeifle, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Hi all,
    I would like to purchase a 135mm for my GX7. Will also need an adapter. Any thoughts in what to look for while searching the bay?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app
  2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    The one that I have kept after trying a few out is the Konica Hexanon AR 135 F3.2. It's a relatively small lens with a great build quality. Has a built-in retractile lens hood and is razor sharp. One major advantage is it's short close focusing distance of 1m (compared to 1.2m+ on most other 135's).

Another thing to consider is that the adapters for Konica AR lenses are cheap and small compared to your standard Canon/Nikon/Minolta adapters.

I got my lens for 15$ off Ebay but it seems like the going rate is around 40-50$ right now.

Here are a few images taken with the lens:

Bees-1 by MartinK's Photography, on Flickr

Cat by MartinK's Photography, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    It really depends on your budget.

If you have the money (~$350), the best 135mm telephoto solution would be the Canon FD 135mm f/2. It's big, but its actually surprisingly compact compared to other 135mm f/2's (e.g. Nikon & Canon EF). It's kind of like the Poor Man's Olympus Zuiko 150mm f/2, which even used is $2000.

Otherwise, any of the 135mm f/2.8's available from the major brands are very good too, whether Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta.

If you're looking for compact, then the Konica AR 135mm f/3.2 is another great option and its quite sharp--as you can see.

I've had three 135mm, an off brand f/2.8, a Konica AR f/3.2, and the Canon f/2. I haven't touched the other two since I got the Canon though.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Or go for cheap.
    42mm mount Carl Zeiss Jena for about £20, plus a £15 adapter off the evilbay.
    F2.8 if you're lucky, F3.5 if you don't mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    The OM f3.5 is common and should be relatively cheaply available, it adapts pretty well and is useable wide open.
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Zeiss 135mm f2 APO Sonnar ZF.2 along with a Metabones Speedbooster Nikon G adapter.
  7. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    The soviet era Tair-11a is a wonderful lens. 20 aperture blades keep a perfect circle when stopped down so you get beautiful bokeh. Relatively cheap.
  8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have konica 3.5 and 3.2 and Pentax 3.5. All are similar and I'd say need to be stopped down a bit to be sharp. The 3.2's close focusing ability is fun. The Pentax is very small and cheap. The Konica 3.5 is a joy to use and smaller than the 3.2 and cheap, but minimum focus distance on the two cheaper ones is 1.5 meter.
  9. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    A cheap Meyer Görlitz Orestor 135 f/2.8

or its "grandchild" Pentacon

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It kind of depends on what you want from it. Does maximum aperture matter? Does size and weight matter? Does the cost matter?
  11. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Carl Zeiss Jena F3.5 Not that cheap in my area :mad:

Attached Files:

12. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for all of the great advice, been thinking I might want to try the Zeiss Sonnar f2.8 in yashica contax mount. Anybody have any experience with this?
  13. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
  14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just curious Kpfeifle. Why a 135mm? What will you be using the lens for?
  15. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

All sorts of stuff, but basically looking ti fill out my prime collection on the long end

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app