1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice from Popular Science mag: Don't buy a DSLR

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Sep 26, 2012.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Interesting article from Popular Science that argues that folks who want to get more into photography should avoid DSLRs in favor or ILCs and/or advanced compacts (e.g. Sony RX100).

Their reasons cover the basics that most readers of this forum are familiar with: DSLRs are bigger and bulkier and more complex than most shooters require. Definitely nothing earth-shattering here, but it's interesting to see an article extolling the virtues of ILCs.

• Like Like x 13
  2. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Great article. its what I want to say to people but don't have the know how of what to say.

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for sharing but isnt it something we all know? lol
    I suspect that writer is a forum member from here..:rofl::rofl: No no its not me with a psudoname:wink:
    Cheers
    bhupinder

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Viewfinders are still a bit of an issue for enthusiasts. Non-DSLRs have been a little hit or miss about including them. I still find shooting off the LCD pretty lousy with a long lens. I hope the the EM5 is at least part of the wave of the future.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree there! I shoot 95% of the time using an EVF on my PENs. But if you are the type who started with a cell phone cam or LCD only P&S then maybe no viewfinder is fine.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Grew up with SLRs and moved to DSLRs but I don't miss a view finder at all. I'd probably use one if I had an OM-D, but I really can live without one.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To each his own. What really matters is what works for you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

I agree, we have our own likes and dislikes and its fine to have choices . I am also not a VF guy but its nice to have one on OMD . I do street shooting and VF is one thing which I would definately avoid and advise people not to use . Having said that all DSLRs suck with live view on LCD and those who havent used a MFT with live view have no idea what difference it makes . If I have to chose one I would go with LCD . Its like manual vs automatic cars . we have choices guys so why not to enjoy them ?:smile:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    No question, use what you like. That's kind of my point. For example, there's no diopter adjustment with the LCD, which is a nice EVF feature for those of us who use readers. I like the E-PM1 with the 14 using the LCD. With the 45-200, not so much. I was out with the 45-200 the other day and forgot the VF-2. For me, this made the whole composing process a bit hit or miss, especially trying to determine exactly what was in focus.

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The thing most perplexing to me is that, there seems for a "religion" of the ELV (Eye Level Viewfinder) to have been developed. There is the implication that, what we are "used to", is the best way to do things, all the time. It isn't. Just as using petrol to fuel cars isn't the most energy efficient way to do it. Just the most commonplace.

In the history of photography there are other paradigms apart from the ELV, equally viable, IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
  11. laogu

laogu New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2012
    SE Idaho
    Scott
    I'm glad to hear this, Bob. Though I'm still waiting for my E-PM1 to arrive, this is something I've been wondering about.

12. Bhupinder2002

Hi ..no offense but dont we normally use glasses if there is any vision issues ? I never forget my glasses at home and its perfect for me to use LCD.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I used a TLR once and I really liked the top panel screen, i.e., waist level finder. This was the VF I remember as being most like the LCD these days. The body also had a nice Delkin-like shade. If was really easy to brace the TLR at the end of the strap for a steady hold. Obviously, you can do that with a flip-up LCD. The LCDs are getting better, but I'm still blinded in bright light. Maybe I should get one of those hoods like the photographer used to duck under using the olde tyme LF camera.:rofl:
    camera_117E7DEB-95A4-3493-9D1F5673DDF35929.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I only use reading glasses to see close, like when I'm reading. I don't use regular glasses because my vision is fine after a few feet. I don't wear the readers walking around outside, although I keep them in a pocket. With a diopter adjustment, the camera is ready to go. Without it, I have to fumble for the readers and then for the camera. Obviously doable, but not as convenient and certainly slower. The VF-2 works well in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A lot of folks on the forum swear by an EVF for manual focus, but with the magnification feature of the Olympus cameras I have no problem with manual focus. My E-P1 is a bit hard to see in bright sunlight, but I added a Delkin shield and it works fine. As I said, if I had one built in I would probably use it, but I don't need one. It would also be more difficult with my glasses - I'd have to take them off to use an EVF and I can leave them on with an LCD.
    I will admit, it's harder to hold a camera steady with a large lens - but IBIS or OIS really helps.

16. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    The article's comments are pretty funny. Most of them think the article is referring to P&S cameras...

• Like Like x 1
  17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Aside from the issues with seeing the LCD in bright light, can anyone seriously argue that the best way to hold a camera steady is by cantilevering it 2 feet in front of you, with no bracing for you arms?

No wonder Oly put IBIS in the Pens. The 2 steps of shutter speed advantage it gives you makes up for the 2 steps you lose by holding the camera out in front of you, compared to bracing the camera against your head and your arms against your body.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    No, the best way (IMHO) is looking straight down into a VF-2. :)

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    You're absolutely correct - that's why I love the IBIS. Whenever possible I brace against a tree or post or door frame. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

• Like Like x 1
  20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is not what it's all about. The point with cameras is not holding them it's taking pictures with them. And there are angles from where it becomes from cumbersome to virtually impossible to take photos using a ELV.

Bio-mechanically speaking, the absolute most efficient way to hold a camera steady is at waist level and bracing your arms at your sides. This would -obviously- call for a waist level finder, or a swivel type LCD, of course.

Practically speaking, a camera that gives as much option as possible on composing photos is objectivelly the best bet for any shooting situation/need/taste.

• Like Like x 1