Advice from people who recently moved to Olympus

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would not invest anything more in Olympus till we get more information.
Yep, that's pretty much what I'll do as well. Based on what will happen in 2021 I'll decide if it makes sense to complete my M43 setup or just move to a new system. I wonder if those "bright primes" lenses will ever get a release: I'd really love to have a 12f/1.2 and maybe a 60-75f/1.2.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did not read all the answers - here my 2 cents - but 1st, the person who thought its OK to laugh at a situation that is of concern to you, I do not think its a joke at all...

Congratulations on your new gear, I wish you many more hours of great images and fun...

M43 cameras and the M43 format is something really special. You really need to discover it to fully appreciate it. Especially Olympus cameras. These cameras are truly creative wonders. When you start learning what they capable of you just appreciate them more...

For example, see this link on 7 tips to use the Live Composite mode... You can subscribe to this great site...

We have a huge supply of Olympus equipment on the market PLUS recently launched camera bodies - think about it, you can still upgrade twice (EM1 III or the EM1X)...

My advice is, enjoy your new camera - absolutely ignore the sensor size crap people talk about and discover the Olympus world...

Siegfried
Thanks, you know maybe that person clicked the wrong icon :D
Anyway, yes, I totally agree with you, and knowing myself I'll probably add an M1.3 next year :)

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Anyway, yes, I totally agree with you, and knowing myself I'll probably add an M1.3 next year :)
my shortsighted low value view:

1. if things go well and JIP is serious and more flexible than former mama in upkeeping the brand spirit things may even be a tad better next year so you are good and they might even listen to what we ask for

2. if JIP is just about milking the fading brand’s values in a downward spiral, you shall be able to get that leftover 1.3 pretty cheaply in 12-18 months and given the number of used PRO lenses floating around you are good again for a number of years while gradually moving to another system - looks like CaNikon pro mirrorless needs a few years to catch up to the total package value of the m43 system (unless low light or ultra fast shooting is your thing where m43 or even mirrorless is too close to its limitations) and it looks like if you are after their current low end stuff, looking at the whole system, you are way better off with m43 equipment, for the next few years. Sony seems to be more concerned developing their more profitable sensor/machine vision sectors and I do not expect any system wide moves aside from sparse new lenses and body updates every now and then to keep the water warm. Unless their AF pony is the “must-have” feature.

3. Pany looks to me as more interested in keeping m43 as a mainly video platform (very well suited for this) while they go after still photo profits in the FF alliance project.

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
@Ed Diaz
And about the enjoyment part. Just not as.
... that setup was really amazing, still I didn't really like it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with Sony. Though I see plenty of folks like the results they get with Sony, never really hear anything positive when it comes to ergonomics/handling or enjoyment of use. Those are things that Oly really excels at.

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with Sony. Though I see plenty of folks like the results they get with Sony, never really hear anything positive when it comes to ergonomics/handling or enjoyment of use. Those are things that Oly really excels at.
I agree with what you are saying about Sony ergonomics. I use a Sony A6000 at work shooting cars quick and dirty style and the ergonomics are functional not comfortable. It’s like your hand is sitting in that one uncomfortable chair that everyone has a memory of. Oly has that ohhhh yeah feet up at the end of the day type of comfort.

I switched from Lumix bodies to mostly Olympus so not a huge move. But I invested in a lot of pro Olympus glass. I will keep compact primes and my PEN-F but as for my flagship camera, I am looking at Canon and Nikon's latest announcements in July. If they have any cameras that meet my need, I may switch but only after a year or so. Who knows how the market will look as the pandemic continues.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Hello,
I would like to hear your opinion on my situation. After a long research, I moved from Sony APSC to M43. I really enjoy my M1.2 (bought in bundle with the 12-40). Because I do some portrait work I added pretty soon a 45mm and a couple of weeks ago a 25mm. Few days later Olympus decided to sell the Camera Division.
I know my gear still works, that’s not point. The issue here is that sooner or later I’ll need a 17mm and probably also the 40-150 and soon I’ll want to add for my work a second body.
So in your opinion, Di you think it still makes sense to stick with m43 or better to minimise the loss? What I am afraid of is the customer’s support and the possibility to repair my gear in case of any issue.
Even worse, I do not see any real alternative to m43 on the market, maybe Fuji?
I guess time will tell. Anyone in the same situation?

thanks,
Luca
If you can’t see any real alternatives for what you shoot and how you like to shoot it then take a deep breath and stick with it. The loss you’re trying to minimise is only relevant if you were already planning to sell it all again anytime soon.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It isn't doom and gloom. Your Olympus isn't going to die next week. It will last for quite a while.

My Nikon D70 lasted about 12 years, before it died. Electronic failure. Replaced with a D7200, now about 5 years old.
My other D70 is still going strong, at 16 years. And the original battery is still working fine.
I expect my Olympus to last as long. Tough it does help to have a backup body, which I have when I upgraded from the EM1-mk1 to the mk2.

But my Nikon 70-200/4 just had to have the VR mechanism repaired $$$.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
@Ed Diaz

I think I might have made it work with an A7iii. Just didn't want to spend that much on a body.
The new small Samyangs were pretty nice. The 28-75 also pretty nice but not quite wide enough at 28 and $$.

And slapping the Samyang 35 1.4 on the A7ii was also a tipping point for me.
Felt like a mini cannon ball.

I lost the potential of very narrow dof - a look that I was going for but never really was able to utilize.
So basically I tried and failed.

Happy to be back with mFT.
Where I don't have to try. ( :

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello! I am a long time reader on this forum and actually decided to register today and would like to share my own opinion on this topic. First off I have to say I stopped following the vast majority of camera news about two or three years ago, I am nothing but a hobbyist who enjoys going out for some shutter therapy simply to escape the typical stress and find a decent level of relaxation in doing so. My Youtube starting page had a video or two regarding the Olympus news, which I mostly wouldn't have really caught otherwise this timely. It saddens me, and, just like Luca, it got me thinking about my camera gear, should I keep it or not.

Back in 2015 I bought an E-M1, prior that I have been using a Nikon D300 since it got released, combined with two f2.8 zooms. Around that time, the camera was mostly collecting dust due to the fact it was always kind of a burden to simply carry around. I remembered about those mirrorless systems a friendly gentleman showed me some time earlier and I was impressed by the compact size. I narrowed my choice down to three possible systems: Olympus / MFT, Fujifilm XF and Nikon 1. After almost weeks of research I finally concluded Micro Four Thirds would be the best choice for my own needs and ordered an Olympus E-M1 kit with the 12-40 f2.8 and shortly after the 40-150 f2.8 - this way I pretty much replaced my D300 setup with a comparable, yet much more compact and lighter package. Overall I was happy with my choice and I actually went out shooting much more than before.

Fast forward to today my MFT system grew by quite a bit over the years and I still was very satisfied, in fact the Pen-F (now my main camera) brought my joy for photography to another level. Yet I looked at Fujifilms X-Pro 2 and recently X-Pro 3 offerings and always thought about getting one, not to replace but to accompany my MFT gear. With the Olympus news reaching me, I was immediately thinking if it would be better just to sell my Olympus collection right now and start replacing it with Fuji X parts. These thoughts kept coming back day after day, however I finally made up my mind and decided against Fuji and will stay with Olympus. Here is why:

As I said I am still very satisfied with my MFT equipment, there never was and still is no real reason to switch or to sell it. All my stuff is in great condition and works flawlessly, my Pen-F could use a sensor clean and I might send it over to Olympus at some point, but that's about it. Additionally, all the reasons why I have chosen Micro Four Thirds in the first place, even though five years ago, are still completely valid today:
  • A compact size and lesser weight compared to other systems
  • Still delivering decent image quality, dynamic range and ISO performance (for me, coming from the D300)
  • The IBIS always has been a big plus, since I often shoot available light around dusk or at dawn, yet mostly don't want to bring a tripod
  • A good selection of different lenses across multiple price ranges
  • Good controls, ergonomics and build quality
Looking at the whole package of what the MFT system brings to the table, at least for me there is nothing out there to really replace it. While I am also worried how warranty and repairs are going to be handled in the future - in case something ever stops working - I think it would be a mistake to panic and jump off the ship. Actually I did the opposite and used Olympus Germany's recent sale for prime lenses and got myself the last piece of the small primes which I was still missing: The 12mm f2, which I got new for less than EUR 420, compared to the MSRP of 639.
In case one of my two cameras will ever break down, there still should be a second hand market where I could buy replacements. Right now I am even thinking about of maybe getting a second Pen-F just as another backup. I always sincerely hoped Olympus would revisit the Pen-F and release an updated version of it, fixing all of the smaller quirks, while staying true to the original idea and design while improving the performance. I guess that hope can now rest forever. Meanwhile, I'll just head out again and again, enjoying the Olympus and the lenses as long as they'll last. I can always start adding another system later on, however selling my existing one just due to panic would be a regrettable action.

banest

New to Mu-43
Hello,
I would like to hear your opinion on my situation. After a long research, I moved from Sony APSC to M43. I really enjoy my M1.2 (bought in bundle with the 12-40). Because I do some portrait work I added pretty soon a 45mm and a couple of weeks ago a 25mm. Few days later Olympus decided to sell the Camera Division.
I know my gear still works, that’s not point. The issue here is that sooner or later I’ll need a 17mm and probably also the 40-150 and soon I’ll want to add for my work a second body.
So in your opinion, Di you think it still makes sense to stick with m43 or better to minimise the loss? What I am afraid of is the customer’s support and the possibility to repair my gear in case of any issue.
Even worse, I do not see any real alternative to m43 on the market, maybe Fuji?
I guess time will tell. Anyone in the same situation?

thanks,
Luca
I own the E-M1 Mk II and three PRO lenses (7-14, 12-40, 40-150), plus the Oly 75-300 II. I am an enthusiast/hobby shooter. I love my Olympus gear so much that I doubled down and just bought an E-M1 Mk III. The Mk II is now my backup camera. I was perfectly happy with it, but wanted a spare body due to the uncertainty introduced by the announcement. I wanted a body that was produced before the announcement came out, to eliminate any risk of an unhappy worker assembling my camera! I am a retired engineer who worked in industry for 41 years, and have seen first hand the morale effect of a sudden divesture. I figure my lenses and two bodies will last me until I lose interest/capability for hiking and photography. Everybody’s mileage will of course differ.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All my stuff is in great condition and works flawlessly, my Pen-F could use a sensor clean and I might send it over to Olympus at some point, but that's about it.
It actually is pretty straight forward to clean the sensor yourself and the sensor is not the delicate egg shell some might lead you to think. After all the sensor is below a glass filter or two so you are not cleaning the sensor per se, but a small piece of glass just like you might clean a polarizing or ND filter for your lens.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
I bought E-M1 II + 12-100mm F4 less than a year ago on Boxing Day, and this was my first interchangeable lens camera ever, so I was a bit shocked and dismayed by this news. Especially considering I am a lifelong Olympus user: my first camera was C-5060WZ which I bought when when I was a teenager, and a year later I switched to C-7070WZ, which I used for 15 years until I decided to get the E-M1 II + 12-100mm because I was planning a trip to Vietnam. The C-7070WZ still works, so I am not too worried about the failure of E-M1 II or 12-100mm F4 and having to replace them. But still, they are an investment in a system not a standalone camera. Even if I have no plans to replace E-M1 II or 12-100mm anytime soon, I still want to at least add an ultra-wide lens and a telephoto macro to my collection, so it is important that the system have a future and a continually expanding lineup of lenses. I think the updated lens road map did help to put me at ease a bit.

I think it is better to avoid panic, whether it be rushing to sell off all of one's Olympus gear or rushing to stockpile Olympus gear. I think if there is any change, for better or worse, it will happen slowly and gradually, not instantaneously. So even in this case there doesn't seem anything to be gained from not giving decisions about gear a lot of time and thought like we normally do.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom