Advice from people who recently moved to Olympus

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
Hello,
I would like to hear your opinion on my situation. After a long research, I moved from Sony APSC to M43. I really enjoy my M1.2 (bought in bundle with the 12-40). Because I do some portrait work I added pretty soon a 45mm and a couple of weeks ago a 25mm. Few days later Olympus decided to sell the Camera Division.
I know my gear still works, that’s not point. The issue here is that sooner or later I’ll need a 17mm and probably also the 40-150 and soon I’ll want to add for my work a second body.
So in your opinion, Di you think it still makes sense to stick with m43 or better to minimise the loss? What I am afraid of is the customer’s support and the possibility to repair my gear in case of any issue.
Even worse, I do not see any real alternative to m43 on the market, maybe Fuji?
I guess time will tell. Anyone in the same situation?

thanks,
Luca

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Here's my take on what will happen with your equipment and the availability of other lenses etc. I've included a bit of my history with OM-D cameras and lenses to support my assertions.
Your equipment will work just fine for years; the only problem I've ever had was with a shutter on my E-M1 Mk.1 sticking when it went below freezing. The shutter was replaced, the rear dial replaced (it always worked fine) and the camera tuned up under warranty. No other problems with that camera, my E-M10 Mk.1 or my E-M1 Mk.2. No problems with any lenses in about 6 years of shooting with Olympus. I've bought 3 lenses used and never had problems with them at any time.
Even if Olympus gets rolled up and shut down there will be a market of used lenses for a decade. There will be independent camera and lens repair services as long as somebody has spare parts to swap out. The big issue is batteries for your cameras. If Oly is shut down, buy 3-4 spare original batteries as soon as you hear about it and just keep shooting.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
We still don’t know what the new Olympus will look like, or what Panasonic will do for that matter. Are you worried that Panasonic will go next? Your lenses will all still work, so you’d not have as much to adapt to, or spend money on. Even today, the G9 is a very good alternative the the E-M1, especially the MK2.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
You mention work, so is photography part or all of your professional income? If so, I understand the hesitation to invest many thousands in the system until more clarity comes from the sale. If you are like me who is just shooting for a hobby, perhaps you reflect on what brought you here in the first place. With Panasonic making bodies for the foreseeable future, any investment into lenses from Olympus or Panasonic should be a sound one. Now, the difference in a 17mm f1.8 for $350 and a 17mm f1.2 for $1100 (or 40-150 PRO vs non-PRO) could be another consideration. I can’t see much total loss in value for years of use out of the non-PRO lenses. And what would you pay for similar setup in Fuji or Nikon with no guarantee of their continued business viability anyway?

I’m staying around with the Olympus gear I have because I love the shooting experience and outcomes. Perhaps if MFT outlook darkens severely in the next 3 years I’ll look at which systems are left and decide from there.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Even worse, I do not see any real alternative to m43 on the market, maybe Fuji?
Maybe Sony APSC? :rolleyes-38:

As others pointed out, we don't really know yet what might happen. A more important question is why did you leave Sony and what was it about m43 that you liked better?

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran
I just purchased an EM1X so I'm committed to Olympus and m43 for the next 5 years. I just had two EM1's repaired (warranty) and they are now retired to extreme backup status and I'll buy some batteries shortly.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
I moved from Nikon to M43 about 6 months ago. (last was a D750). I did think about what would happen if Olympus would quit. Apart from the reasons why M43 became the preffered system, size and lens choice are still a big win for M43. Will other camera brands actually survive? I fear there is no ‘safe haven’.

Now suppose Olympus effectively quits at the end of 2020.
Panasonic will probably continue because of video, and give it another shot to make it work.
Suppose, however unlikely, Panasonic pulls the plug at the end of 2021. (or more likely makes M43 still photography completely secondary to video)
Which means that worst case for the next +/- two years there will be freshly produced bodies for your current lenses.

And those bodies will last you another say 5 years?

We’re now in late 2026.

In 2026 you will probably still be able to get a mint m43 camera, maybe even a new one. Or maybe even a brand new Panasonic Video m43. Or a iPhone 17.

Or you have a look at the 2026 remaining ‘still camera‘ market, and it’s sole survivor: Leica :inlove: ,and make a move. So best advice, start saving.

I’m sticking with M43, maybe lean a bit more towards Panasonic m43 lenses from now on. In fact my girl and I just decided to buy a Panasonic 100-400.

And if in 2026 my girl and I are still alive and healthy, I call it a win! Rest doesn’t really matter.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’m totally committed I was nikon from around 1968 all the way until Olympus was 1/2 size and weight 5 years ago I now own 5 bodies and around 12 Olympus lenses and accessories so I’m not looking at complete system changes again I don’t think the MU-43 system will die as so many are suggesting

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
I just went from A6400 to EM1.2.

A few of the things I appreciate..
Value, 12-40, IBIS, feel/handling, feature set, small fast primes, PENs and Sigma compatibility.

I can see myself shooting Olympus bodies for years to come.

flynfoto

New to Mu-43
Don't spend time worrying about the future and what it may hold...just go and shoot and enjoy the experience. And if or when the time comes in the future make a change if need be.
This comes from a guy who has a Sony A77M2 and a whole bunch of A-mount lenses (along with my E-M10 Mk2 and Pen-f).

Real Name
Paul
Since 2013 I've shot a total of 5 different Olympus bodies (2 PEN, 3 OMD), 5 Panasonic lenses, 12 Olympus lenses (including 2 older Super High Grade 4/3 lenses, adapters, and teleconverters from circa 2006), and 1 Rokinon lens. I shoot almost exclusively outdoors in all weather conditions (I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest) including underwater (2 different Olympus underwater housings). I dropped an M1mkI and a very expensive Oly lens into a creek- body was unrepairable but a Portland camera repair company made the lens as good as new; totally my fault. I lowered a backpack from a bowhunting treestand a little too fast and damaged the LCD screen on my M5mkII; also totally my fault. Oly fixed it up good as new. No warranty issues, no ongoing problems. Part of the reason Olympus is going under is because the robust build quality of their bodies and lenses makes for an expensive value proposition. Shoot away, and never look back. In my case, I'm looking for a couple more Pro lenses and another OMD body to last me for at least another 5 years. We'll see how small FF is at that time and go from there...

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
... A more important question is why did you leave Sony and what was it about m43 that you liked better?
I just went from A6400 to EM1.2.
Wondering why you both moved from Sony APS-C too. I'm guessing the EM1.2 runs circles around Sony APS-C when it comes to handling and ergonomics. And of course, there's IBIS and some of the other Oly tech (high-res, pro-capture, live composite, etc.), but seems like the Sony lens catalog is getting better and the A6400 AF and sensor are state of the art. Was there something specific you found you couldn't do or didn't have with the Sony cameras? Did you just not enjoy shooting with them?

I plan to keep shooting with the m43 gear I have, but not sure I'll add to it unless the used market goes crazy. Actually taking a hard look at Sony, so curious why you both left.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I switched from Nikon dSLR to Olympus m4/3 for ONE reason bulk (AKA size and weight).

My standard Nikon is a D7200 + 18-140.
My first Olympus was an EM1-mk1 + Panasonic 12-60.
This was a 43% weight reduction, and a more difficult to measure but very "feelable" difference in size.

And when I shoot sports where I need reach, the Olympus 75-300 is significantly smaller and lighter than the FF Sigma/Tamron 150-600, with the same 3-12x magnification.
My old back and legs really appreciate the weight reduction.
And it is a LOT easier to handle the shorter/lighter 75-300, than the bigger/longer/heavier 150-600.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
@Ed Diaz
Nailed it Ed.
I was pretty happy with the capabilities of the A6400 and Sigma F1.4 trio but wanted a wide mid zoom. I didn’t like the 16-70 or the 18-105 and the 16-55 is another step up in size and two in price.
The 12-40 was a perfect solution.

And about the enjoyment part. Just not as.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
For what it's worth - I still have a Fuji Finepix F601 from 2002. When I last checked about a year ago, it still powered up and operated on it's original battery and third party replacements are still readily available :eek:

That said, I plan to grab me a spare OEM BLH-1 soon.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would not invest anything more in Olympus till we get more information. I purchased an EM1.3 & 12-100 at launch and do not know what I will do now. People say your cameras will work well into the future but that is a gamble, plenty of them need servicing and warranty repair.

Once companies go into receivership or similar the quality of their products tends to go down as employee moral drops. I used to work in Manufacturing and went through this sort of thing a few times before I switched jobs.

When they say they are continuing with the releases that just means they want to get rid of inventory. It takes awhile to ramp up for production so they may have started purchasing inventory for new lenses awhile ago. Receivers and such will go to any lengths to reduce inventory including releasing products that are only half baked.

I knew I was taking a risk when purchasing the EM1.3, the only thing I did not take into account was COVID 19, that will probably make it harder for all camera companies as travel is often a motivator for new purchases.

Anyway enough of the negativity, I hope something works out for the brand and the future of Mu-43:drinks:

Real Name
Siegfried
I did not read all the answers - here my 2 cents - but 1st, the person who thought its OK to laugh at a situation that is of concern to you, I do not think its a joke at all...

Congratulations on your new gear, I wish you many more hours of great images and fun...

M43 cameras and the M43 format is something really special. You really need to discover it to fully appreciate it. Especially Olympus cameras. These cameras are truly creative wonders. When you start learning what they capable of you just appreciate them more...

For example, see this link on 7 tips to use the Live Composite mode... You can subscribe to this great site...

We have a huge supply of Olympus equipment on the market PLUS recently launched camera bodies - think about it, you can still upgrade twice (EM1 III or the EM1X)...

My advice is, enjoy your new camera - absolutely ignore the sensor size crap people talk about and discover the Olympus world...

Siegfried

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wondering why you both moved from Sony APS-C too. I'm guessing the EM1.2 runs circles around Sony APS-C when it comes to handling and ergonomics. And of course, there's IBIS and some of the other Oly tech (high-res, pro-capture, live composite, etc.), but seems like the Sony lens catalog is getting better and the A6400 AF and sensor are state of the art. Was there something specific you found you couldn't do or didn't have with the Sony cameras? Did you just not enjoy shooting with them?

I plan to keep shooting with the m43 gear I have, but not sure I'll add to it unless the used market goes crazy. Actually taking a hard look at Sony, so curious why you both left.
Hi,
so let me say that I moved from a Sony a6000 (which I believe it is still a wonderful camera). There were actually several reasons:
- Sony doesn't have a full lineup of professional lenses for APSC (like Fuji does), so I thought it didn't make sense to invest in that system. Sure, you can use full frame lenses, but not for me. I know recently they released a 24-70f2.8 equivalent, but it is too expansive,
- Ergonomic was terrible
- I need dual-card slot. I cannot say to a customer: "hej, sorry, today's session is gone because my memory card failed"
- I preferred Olympus's JPGs over Sony's, and this is very important because in case of issues, I can potentially give to a customer the SOOC JPGs
- money (and size). Compare the cost of a body (like M1.2) plus a 24-70f/2.8 & 70-200f/2.8 with the corresponding Sony's offer, or a body (again, M1.2) with 3 f/1.2 (or f/1.4 when referring to a FF setup) prime lenses:
- 1450EUR + (at that time there was no f/2.8 zoom for Sony APSC nor Tamron zooms) so it is was like 2000EUR for a 24-70, and 2500EUR for the 70-200f/2.8. Something similar if you have a kit with 35f/1.4, 50f/1.4 and 85/1.4. A Sony setup costs like twice as much and it is huge
- at that time no Sony APSC body had IBIS
- I love HR shots, especially the HHHR
- I do a lot of black&white and the Art Filters Grainy I & II produces amazing results

I have to say I rented for a weekend a Sony A7III with the Batis lenses 25mm/85mm and even if that setup was really amazing, still I didn't really like it.

Luca

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We still don’t know what the new Olympus will look like, or what Panasonic will do for that matter. Are you worried that Panasonic will go next? Your lenses will all still work, so you’d not have as much to adapt to, or spend money on. Even today, the G9 is a very good alternative the the E-M1, especially the MK2.
My friend borrowed me a G9 and I can tell you the AF-C on Olympus behaved much better than the G9 (but again, I had the G9 just for few hours, so it might be user's fault). But yes, I feel like Panasonic will be concentrating more and more on video.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom