1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice for selling OMD kit lens (12-50)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by syilim, Nov 14, 2012.

1. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Hi everyone.

I'm not sure where to post this, so please forgive me if i've posted it in the wrong area.

I'm looking to sell my OMD kit lens, the 12-50. However, i've just noticed that in the box, there's only one warranty card for both the body and lens. With my previous D7000 kit, there were 2 warranty cards. One for the body and one for the lens, which made selling the lens along with giving the warranty card easy.
    However, how do I provide the new buyer with the warranty for the lens?? I definitely need to keep the warranty for myself as well, incase anything happens to the body.

Thanks for answering this noobish question.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Can't you make a copy of the warranty card?

• Like Like x 1
  3. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    i can do. Just wasn't sure that a photo copy of the warranty card is valid. But judging from your response, i take it that it is. Many thanks for your quick response!

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I dunno if a copy is valid, (I am not an Olympus policy administrator), but I don't see why a copy won't work.

Gary

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm going on recollection only, but I think that when I sold my 12-50mm kit lens I looked for instructions, warranty papers, etc., and found nothing. That may vary from country to country, obviously.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Warranty card photocopy should be fine by my logic, but what you need to provide with it is the bill of sale to make it valid, I believe.

7. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Is the warranty transferable? Typically the times I've looked at warranty info here in the US, the warranty is specified as only being valid for the original purchaser. Of course, that may only be here in the US, I don't know.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Correct. When you send an item for service, you need both a photocopy of the warranty card, and one of the bill.

Technically it is not. However, due to gift-giving etc., so long as the paperwork is there, they don't generally ask questions. And frankly, a 1-year warranty is pretty short to start with...

• Like Like x 1
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've never been asked to provide any evidence of purchase for any warranty work. I've never tried to get an Oly product serviced under warranty, though.

10. ISO1600

ISO1600 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Chris
    when i sold mine, i scanned the warranty for the kit, and the receipt as well. Emailed them to the buyer.

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The work around for the bill of sale on transferring is to have it made out to cash when purchasing. The old saying " cash is king" still holds true.

12. syilim

syilim Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2011
    Thanks all for the help. Have photo copied both receipt and warranty card. Seller is happy with it. Thanks again.

13. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    Just a quick note...
    I had to take my kit (OM-D and 12-50) back to the store due to the random "black image" issue with high shutter speed. They needed both the body and the lens to do an exchange.

Now this may not be the case for warranty work at Olympus but it certainly was for an in-store exchange.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    But that's exactly what you'd expect for an exchange...at least I would. It is an "exchange" for us but as far as the store is concerned when they deal with Olympus it's a "return" and they'd need to have the original package to send back.