1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice for purchasing New u4/3 camera

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Vincible, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Vincible

Vincible New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    Hey guys~

I'm new to the u4/3 and pretty noob in general with Cameras.
    Ive been doing some research for a new camera.
    I'm coming from general P&S cameras and u4/3 cameras seems like an attractive option for me.

I was looking into e-pl2 and maybe getting a 17mm.

Do you guys think its worth it to go for e-p3? It costs a lot more.

If i do go for e-p3 it comes with the new 14-42mm kit or 17mm which bundle would you guys recommend?

I'm looking for general all around camera. And I do like the style of the pen series.

I'm open to other cameras as well. Any tips and suggests are welcome!
    Thank you!!

:biggrin:

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Well, if you're in dire need to get a camera now, and you are just upgrading from P&S territory, I'd get the E-pl2. The E-p3 is definitely a nice camera, but the E-pl2 is still great and will be leaps and bounds above point and shoot image quality. If you'd like to get the newer fast focusing cameras, I would recommend to wait for the E-pl3, as it has the same fast focus speed without some of the more costly bells and whistles on the E-p3.

Another alternative might be to find a well cared for used or refurbished E-P2 with the 17mm lens. The 17mm is nice, very compact and makes a great general focal length. If you're at all thinking about using a prime or two, it is an inexpensive place to start - I would try and find a camera with the 17mm, and then add a 14-42mm lens, as they are much cheaper and you'll probably get a slightly better deal with an e-p2/17mm bundle.

Cameta Camera sells a lot of refurb e-p2s at the moment on ebay:

Olympus-PEN-E-P2-Micro-Digital-Camera-EP2-17mm-Lens-

They have the camera and 17mm for $499 - that is about as good a price as you're going to get (think $300 for the body and $200 for the lens...those are the going USED prices, and you're getting a refurb with a 1yr warranty). You'll have no problem picking up the 14-42mm for somewhere around $100-120 on the forum here from another member used, and have the camera and 2 lenses for about $600.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If the ep3 is more than you want to spend I'd suggest maybe waiting for the e-pl3 that coming out, as for the lens the 14-42 will offer you more flexibility than the 17 will, also if you end up wanting to sell the 17 seems to hold it's value better than the 14-42 unless you get the mkIII WHICH SHOULD COME WITH E-p3. Which ever camera you choose you won't be disappointed. Also there are some great deals on e-p2's right now like $350 from Cameta. Good luck with your search and WELCOME to the forum..

4. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    It's always nice to have the latest model but you can get better value by looking at the previous model, assuming the new features and advantages are not significant; as an example I recently bought the Olympus E-P1 with 17mm and 14-42 for £420 and added a 40-150 for £130, so a total kit for £650.
    I reasoned that you can soon realise your cash back on eBay if you are unhappy. If you are interested in this option check out the threads on model comparisons. As for quality of pictures - I'm finding it very hard to justify keeping my semi-pro DSLR, the Olympus Pen really is that good!
    Hope that helps.

5. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Check out Simply Electronics, they had my bundle still on offer, they ship in from Hong Kong to the UK, takes about 2 weeks and it's new and guaranteed kit.

6. Vincible

Vincible New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the response! I appreciate it.

Yeah I was thinking the e-p3 prices are little too steep. Especially if i wanted to buy view finder and other lens.

Now the question is for similar price range. E-pl2 with 14-42mm or e-p2 with 17mm.
    does the flash matter much? or even used often?

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'd get the EPL2 before I get the EP2. Pop up flash + weaker AA filter. The weaker AA filter makes a difference in the image quality. I have the EP2, and I'd gladly do a straight up trade for an EPL2.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I rarely, very rarely use the flash on my E-PL1. The build quality of the E-P2 over the E-PL2 is something to consider as well. If you check out the member sales here you can find some excellent prices. :thumbup:

9. Vincible

Vincible New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    Its so difficult....

What do you guys think about the sony NEX series compared to the pen series?

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    In a nutshell:

NEX = better sensor, limited native lens selection

M4/3 = superior lens selection, inferior sensor but getting better (at least the Panasonics)

It comes down to preferences and what you plan to use the camera for. If you plan to shoot a lot of low light photos, then NEX is better. Otherwise, the M4/3 is a more "polished" system. I have both, and I like both.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12. Vincible

Vincible New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    I'm kinda getting the picture. But still difficult to decide. It seems like e-pl2 is the better choice but then again for e-p2 I can buy the body only and maybe get the pan 20mm lens for little above 600 i mean around 650

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Two words: No flash. I mean support for real hotshoe flash (which means support for PC Sync, Radio Triggers, Studio Strobes, etc.), not the little accessory you can plug into the NEX. Also, if you shoot video then I have three more words: No external mic. I mean support for real external 3.5mm stereo mics (since XLR is too much to ask for a camera this small), not the little plug-in mic that you can buy for the NEX, which doesn't do anything more for you than the built-in mic.

I don't know what level of photography or videography you're at, but if you ever want the option (whether now or down the road) of getting professional quality photos and video out of your system, then control of lighting in photography (support for standard flash and strobes) and control of sound (external microphone support - boom, shotgun, etc.) for video are necessities. Photography is all about the capture of light.

I prefer the E-PL2 personally. The images are sharper and cleaner, and the response of the camera is faster, as is AutoFocus. The higher resolution LCD and larger grip (for bigger lenses) are also important. I couldn't care less about the pop-up flash, but if you want to use the Electronic Viewfinder (VF-2 or vF-3) then the Remote Flash Commander (operated by the pop-up flash) will allow you to control Olympus wireless flashes with full TTL, or any optical slave flash with manual settings.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This being an inherently Micro Four Thirds forum means that you'll obviously receive a biased answer..:wink:

This question is better asked in a general photography forum :smile:

15. Vincible

Vincible New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    Once again, thank you everyone for detailed response to my question!
    I was wanted to consider all the options.
    I want to be investing my money in a system that I will still use after many years with additional kits.

I wish oly sold body only. I'm now even thinking about just saving up more money for e-p3.

E-pl2 seems like the choice for me but I wish it was bundled differently.

For oly, if i were to buy a pan 20mm lens I have to buy an appropriate adapter??

Sorry for asking so many questions.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  17. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    *chokes on drink*

What the hell is that?

Olympus/ Panasonic...:43: lens. Both brands connect the same. No adapter necessary.

EP3 is a pretty pricey investment if you're still not sure about the system. At least the other bodies have done their fair share of depreciation and can be unloaded for close to the same. Have you considered used?

• Like Like x 1
  18. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If you're just thinking of dipping your toe in m43 I'd recommend get a cheap body and pay a bit more for a nice lens like the Panasonic 20. The lens can stay with you if you decided to upgrade bodies later and if not it will be easy to sell and probably make most of what you paid for it back. The PENs are nice cameras and the E-PL2 is a terrific body. You could probably also find an E-PL1 or and E-P1 for sale (probably in the buy and sell section here) for even less. The E-P3 is a bit spendy for something you are just getting into.

As far as the NEX cameras...they have terrific IQ thanks to a big sensor but I myself find their handling and UI to be quirky and nopt so fun to use. They have some very cool features (peaking and their panorama feature to name a few) but it has never been enough to make me switch. Also, at the moment at least m43 has a better selection of native lenses.

19. Vincible

Vincible New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2011
    So e-pl2 only comes with the 14-42 mm lens?? or no body only :/ ??

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No PENs come body-only, unfortunately. Considering that I wouldn't expect a body to last more than a couple few years (the PEN system is only 2.5 years old and I'm already looking at getting a third body, lol), that means a lot of kit lenses piled up for me. :rolleyes:

But Olympus upgrades their kit lenses, so they're still useful to somebody else who has an older one. For instance, the MSC kit lens on the E-PL2 is much nicer than the older kit lenses on the E-P1, E-P2, and E-PL1 (especially since it can be upgraded via firmware to match the speed and autofocus function of the newest R lenses). That means my kit lens could still be sold/traded for something else I'd want.

So yeah, it sucks not having a body-only option but it's workable and not that big a deal.