Advice for New G1 Owner

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LeeOsenton, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I just ordered a new G1, a spare battery, and a Nissin Di466 flash. I am transitioning from a DSLR and am excited to join the micro 4/3rds crowd. My favorite lenses have always been fast primes, so I am gravitating towards the 20mm, but it seems rather pricey for a non stabilized normal prime. Any recommendations? I almost bought the 4/3rds adapter but read that AF may not work. Is there a way to tell which lenses are compatible with AF on a u43 body?
    Can't wait for my little red G1!

Thanks,
    Lee

• Like Like x 4
  2. gorilla

gorilla Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2010
    Just get the 20mm and let your legs do the walking, you will never look back!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hector

Hector Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Reading, UK
    I would agree with gorilla - I love the prime 20mm. However, the kit 14-45 is pretty darn good too. The kit 14-45 seems to have a nice balanced feel on the G1 whereas the 20mm feels nicely balanced on the GF1 IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Start with the 20mm/1.7 pancake as advised if it's a fast prime you are looking for. From there you will find out what to do... I just got a 4/3rds lens ( a whopper) 25mm LeicaD /1.4 a few nights ago. It's unreal. And, it has an aperture ring.

Read this:
    Compatibilities of DMC-GF1, DMC-GH1 and DMC-G1 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Product Support | Support | Panasonic Global

.. and try a few manual primes for fun, like the Konica Hexanons, or so some even more exotic stuff. It's a blast working in manual on this system.

Check out the adapted lenses forum on our mu-43 Site.

Bokeh

50/2 Helios 44-4 lens, focused only on the eyes
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Agreed with all others. The 20mm Panasonic is a wonderful lens. You'll love it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    For the price of the Panny 20mm you can get a whole bag of cool classic prime lenses to play with! M42, Nikon, even Zeiss and Leitz!

My Red G1 looks great in all of them.

7. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Thanks to all for the excellent advice. I ended up getting the Panasonic 45-200 first because I do enjoy nature and birding also. Due to the strong recommendations from here, I think the 20 is next now that I have fairly good focal length coverage. The zoom lens isn't quite as exciting to me as a fast prime, I knew I would be frustrated when I hit the stop at 45mm and had nothing else to shoot with.
    BTW, I got a red G1 from Amazon for $499 shipped, and the total was a bit over $1000 with the long zoom, Nissin flash, an extended warranty, and a spare battery. Now I am out of cash and need to start saving for the pancake, thanks again for the advice. It wasn't unheeded, I just have seen so many good pics from the kit lens I decided to "suffer" for a bit so I will appreciate the 20 later.

Lee

8. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Nice Pic

@Bokeh Diem Nice shot, I think I could flip that image horizontally and read the comics! Now I have serious lens envy... Too bad I blew my camera budget :rolleyes:

Lee