Advice for Jessops Academy Birds of Prey Experience

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
I shall be attending a Jessops Academy Birds of Prey experience in Shropshire next Saturday and, as this type of event and (potentially) fast moving subject is new to me, I though I would ask for some advice. Jessops suggest taking an assortment of lenses, so I'm taking the following equipment: Olympus EM1 Mk2 and Mk3, 40-150 f2.8 (+1.4x and 2x converters), 35-100 f2.8, 12-40 f2.8, 75 f1.8 and 25 f1.4. Any tips on af settings in particular would be most helpful. Thanks.

from previous experiences at birds of prey centres down here, I'd say lens wise you've got it covered (unless you can spring a 300mm f4!). Most flying is fairly close to spectators, so the 40-150 will get most use IMHO. I doubt you'll use the 12-40 or the 25mm, 75 may be useful for some static shots, but it is quite a slow focuser for any moving stuff. You can take some nice images if you get close the the netting/wire and use full FL and widest aperture, for flying I use C-AF and all points active (you may not need that as the flying tends to be pretty predictable at these events), but others may have some BIF magic settings. Do post the results though!

Action is really fast so the best lens is a moderate telephoto zoom ,such as an Oly 40-150 F2.8. You won't have time to change lenses. The place may be crowded so there is no point in dragging around a large kit.

Real Name
Henrik
Apparently the 5x5 grid is vastly superior when it comes to AF-C performance compared to using more AF points, so I'd use that.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom