Advice for a friend

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by howbeg, Oct 1, 2013.

1. howbeg

howbeg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi guys, need some help for my pal here. She has the Olympus E-PM1 and when she goes to try to take a photo it comes up with this message "please check the status of the lens" and it won't take a picture with that lens on. It works fine with her other lens. I have the same camera and have (touch wood) not had any problems. We live in Scotland but would appreciate any advice you guys have. Many thanks in advance:smile:

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    If it's the 14-42 you have to unlock it first.

3. howbeg

howbeg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2010
    She's been using it fine for months. What does unlock it mean please

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If the lens is locked, the EPM1 will tell you "The lens is locked. Please extend the lens". You have a different message, and a Google search suggests it's associated with a lens that has issues. Like it's broken.

Wipe the electrical contacts on the lens. That's all I can think of to try. Try it on your camera and see what happens.

5. howbeg

howbeg New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks, you are right its broken and seems to be a common issue with that lens! Fingers crossed my own one behaves, thanks again:cool:

6. Rallyroo

Rallyroo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    This just happened to my 14-42 lens while I was on a trip in Australia! This is the first time I've ever had a lens failure and I started in photography with a medium known as film instead of memory cards. For me, the 14-25mm range was okay, but if I went to 26-42, I'd get the check status of lens message. Now I'm stuck trying to decide what to do. For the cost of repair, I'm probably better off getting something else. And I'm definitely out of the warranty period.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Try rubbing the metal contacts on the lens with a pencil eraser. Sometimes corrosion causes poor contact and problems with the camera communicating with the lens.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    +1 That is the best medicine. Use the type of eraser (like on the top of a wooden pencil) that has a little abrasive in it. Afterwards, wipe with a q-tip and a little bit of contact cleaner (electronic parts store) or isopropyl alcohol.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I had the same message with my 75mm. Olympus changed a bunch of parts including the lens barrel. It's unlikely this is a simple contacts problem.

I would think picking up a used replacement for the kit zoom on eBay would be a cheap and quick way to resolve the problem.

Gordon

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Yes it's unlikely, but not totally unreasonable, and it's free to try that remedy first, so it couldn't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Agreed. A good rule of thumb is to start with the least expensive solution and work your way up. :cool:

12. Rallyroo

Rallyroo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    I tried both the eraser and isopropyl alcohol to no avail. :(

I'm going to look on the used market for a replacement lens rather than repairing the lens.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I was about to say this too ;
    Otherwise ... shrug.

Then buy a used Lumix 14-45 kit lens ...

I own the collapsible 14-42 lenses and while mine are optically good I just don't like the fiddly extending action and prefer the Lumix for its solidity, sharpness and OIS switch.
    For the pocket I use pancakes.