1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Advice: Cheap flash for Lumix GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Im need recommendations of economic device for my camera. The officials are very expensive.

Im thinking in 2 flashes for interior and interior sessions.

Thanks.

2. bmhome1

bmhome1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    I can't recommend the Meike 320 Lumix version highly enough. Check out the thread in Accessories.

You can get one from USA seller for $75 on eBay.

• Like Like x 1
  3. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Just bought the above to use off camera with a TTL lead,what little i have used it i think it is great value for money.

• Like Like x 1
  4. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    So are you looking for a manual off-camera flash, or something with full TTL?

Do you want to use the optical flash control from the camera? Or optical slave mode? Or a cable? Or radio triggers?

• Like Like x 1
  5. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    If you want something tiny that you can always keep with the camera you can also try the Olympus FL-LM3 flash originally meant for the EM5-MkII.

https://amzn.com/B00SMPLHTI

Small, Full 360 degree bounce and tilt capabilities and can fit in the same pouch as the camera. Requires some slight modification to fit into the hotshoe snugly.

upload_2016-9-12_10-35-16.

But if you want a full size flash with its own batteries then yeah the Meike 320 looks good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I've had good luck with the Neewer NW320....small but pretty powerful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    I use the Meike 320 for on-board flash - it's very good for the size and price, but isn't 360 degree rotatable so you can't bounce from a wall and ceiling behind you. That's the only criticism I have though.

For off-camera, there are many more variables so it may be worth hearing what you want to do with it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bmhome1

bmhome1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    The Neewer NW320 is rebadged Meike 320 I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I really know very little of flash. In college I have received some brief and limited instruction long ago, but generally work with natural light or lightning with direct light as at movies, but I want to do professional work with flash, I assume that would be the most suitable manual mode.

CyVan, That flahs allows make professional works?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  10. skellington

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    So I'm just getting started with off-camera flash as a hobbyist..

If you want mostly manual mode, off-camera flash, you can use almost any flash out there. You'll also need appropriate stands, light modifiers, batteries, etc. which will probably cost about as much as the flashes (if not more.)

Add in a set of basic radio triggers (without TTL / HSS etc.) (The top brand names run about $100 for a basic transmitter, receiver, or transciever. The cheap ones go as low as $10. I went with the Phottix Aries, which are about $30 / piece.)

Many people starting out use Yungnuo these days, which is down around $60 / flash (and some models have a radio receiver built in.) Neewer / Godox also makes some really inexpensive options. And you might also be able to pick up some used speedlights; as all you need is a trigger pin. (I picked up a couple of Promaster Olympus TTL compatible flashes on clearance for super-cheap.)

The strobist.com has a gear guide, and he's a big fan of Lumopro, which is a bit more expensive. But will remind you of all the pieces you need, regardless of brand. (And with some very good instruction.)

11. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks people. With the Neewer / Meike 320 I can get pro results as Yongnuo 560 IV? And why in amazon only see the flash, dont need controller receiver?

12. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    I'm using Yongnuo 560 with phottix ares for my food photography work. It's cheap and powerful flash but no ttl.

13. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2016
    It all depends on what you intend to take pictures of with the use of that many flash guns. For small portable size I rate the Panasonic FL-220 very highly with its GN of 22. It is permanently in the bag with the GX8 wherever I go. But for indoor use I went out and bought some 20W daylight compact fluorescent lamps, which are stand mounted. I use the FL-360 to add some bounce etc., but the permanent beam from the CFLs makes it easy for me to see what effect the lighting has on my picture.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I will make an session in exterior next week, near the end of the afternoon.

15. KeenanRIVALS

KeenanRIVALS Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2016
    Detroit
    Keenan
    I might have to give this a try!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    After a few days I have been using the Yongnuo flashes, without problem, except that from 1/640 the images come out black or great part of the frame black. I have tried different combinations and there is no way.

17. skellington

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The flash sync speed for the camera is probably 1/200 or 1/250, so you can't go faster than that (without HSS, which is not supported on the manual Yongnuo.)

• Like Like x 1
  18. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M1 has a flash sync of 1/320s, most others only go up to 1/250s or 1/200s. Some Panasonic bodies only do 1/160s and the GMs with their stepper shutter only do 1/50s. You will need to use manual exposure and set your shutter speed below that. I strongly suggest you read thr lighting 101 tutorial on strobist.com, it covers all of this and more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    pending the brand, the GX8 can do 1/320. I can do with with my Godox/flashpoint gear (both hotshoe flashes and ad360s), but not if I'm using the Cactus v5's.

By the way, I can't recommend the Godox system enough (or it's various other names sold by other companies). It's great having full control over manual adjustments for all of my lights and has worked pretty flawlessly so far.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    The question now: Some inexpensive HSS flash for GX8 for an exterior session. Normally, when I use continous or natural light in exterior, I need /500 or more. An option can be a ND filter.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Its 1/200 for the GX8.

Thanks.

First, Im using manual mode. Second, i was readind tonight strobist.com, but the Yongnuo cant use in HSS with Panasonic.