1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice?: Canon FD 50 f1.4 vs P-K SMC 50 f1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lenticularis, Oct 4, 2011.

1. lenticularis

lenticularis Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Australia
    I am interested in opinions on the relative performance of:

Pentax SMC 50 f1.7 vs.

Canon FD 50 f1.4

I have the former but yet to receive the adapter to try it with my G3.

cheers,

David

2. I can tell you that I have a FDn 50mm f1.4 that is sharp, has good contrast and colour reproduction, and has controls that operate smoothly. What I can't tell you is if another 30 year old copy of the same lens will do the same.

3. Bugsi

Bugsi New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    I've also had good results with the Canon FD 50/1.4 with FD to m4/3 adapter. No experience with your Pentax lens, though. The FD 50/1.4 is very sharp and probably my number one favorite lens to shoot. I just wish it didn't have the 2x magnification factor on m4/3.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Why not get a M42 Pentax 50mm F1.7 instead of the K Mount? Cheaper adapter and it'll open up the world of cheap M42 lenses. At the prices these lenses go for, why not try both? You can pick up the Canon FD 50mm F1.4 for next to nothing. The thing is, you have to know the trick for working the aperature. Many people don't so they sell it cheap as "broken". They work perfectly fine.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Not worth worrying about such small differences between the myriad 50mm lenses. Worry more about investing in a specific adapter; let that guide your choice. If you need f/1.4, then go for Canon. If you don't want to worry about having to compete with the quickly-growing Pentax user base with future lens purchases, go for Canon. If you want to potentially purchase still-produced amazing lenses like the Pentax 14mm, 35mm, 43mm, or 77mm, go for Pentax.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Canon FD lenses are the most convenient for using on Micro 4/3 bodies. You can focus wide open and then with one flick of the 'Lock/Open' ring close the lens to the pre-set aperture. Works like a charm!

7. Willabeast

Willabeast Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 is lovely. This was taken with it and a GF1 [​IMG][/IMG]

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    From personal experience the SMC M50/f1.7 is excellent, and going by what people have said here the Canon FA is as well :smile:

Get which ever tickles your fancy, they're both wonderful :wink: