Advice: Buy a telephoto lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    If you were to buy a telephoto zoom with a budget maximum of $ 600, what would be the best option? I guess the Lumix 100-300 possibly be the ideal. Dont tell me that the 35-100 escaping my budget.

Advice me please.

Thanks! :thumbup:

PD: My cam is a GH2.

2. martink111

martink111 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I have the Panasonic 45-175x. I can't say how it compares against the alternatives, but for me (an avid hiker and mountain biker) it works for me for several reasons:

1. It has good image quality. It looks to easily matches my Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS in terms of sharpness and contrast, while having a good full stop advantage on that lens in terms of useable aperture. Typical of most m43 lenses I have used, this zoom is plenty useable wide open up to about 150 mm, after which I would need to stop down to around f8 at 175mm. By comparison, I never felt the output from the Canon zoom was acceptable unless stopped down to f8 or even f11.
    2. Its small and lightweight. This lens is a bare fraction of the size and weight of the aforementioned Canon. While this may not be a big deal to "serious" pros, for me it means the difference between taking it everywhere and having to think about it. Since switching to m43, the smaller size and weight has made for more spontaneity than I ever had with an SLR (more akin to a good point n shoot) and this lens fits this ethos perfectly.
    3. The incredible (albeit seriously flawed) Power OIS. With this lens, you can reliably handhold down to 1/15th of a second, BUT- keep in mind that alot of copies of this lens (including mine) cannot be reliably used with IS between 1/60th to 1/200th due to the dreaded shutter shake. If you have an Olympus camera (like the awesome OM-D) this is a non-issue. I live with it by working around those shutter ranges.
    4. It doesn't extend. This may not seem like a big deal, but for someone working in less than ideal conditions (dust, sand, dirt, etc) this greatly reduces mechanical wear and tear. My Canon and Sigma telephoto lenses that extend developed severe barrel play after several years due to this. An added benefit to this is that close-up adapters can be more reliably used if you aren't worried about the side load of that heavy glass on the lens. A Canon 500D closeup adapter with stepdown ring makes the 45-175 an excellent long-reach macro lens.
    5. Price. Do a quick check on Amazon and you have a good chance of finding this lens well below MSRP. I picked mine up for around $275, which was less than the nominally lower-end Panasonic 45-200mm. I believe this pricing reflects the issues with the IS- Again, if you have an Olympus camera this is a moot point.

This lens does have a couple of issues to keep in mind though. As mentioned, the Power OIS is deeply flawed, but can be worked around. The fact that it is a power zoom lens means that it will drain more battery life than I'd like. Finally, I'm particularly frustrated that DxO has not bothered to put out a lens module for this lens (although they may get around to it someday). If you can live with these issues and place a priority on portability, this lens is definitely worth a look.

3. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    What about v2.0 of Olympus 75-300? Even though it is slower than P100-300, my understanding is its (Version 1) IQ is better. And V2 is the exact same optics, I think.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    An olympus <4/3> 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 non SWD can be had within this price including panasonic adapter. The optics are much superior to any m4/3 zoom except the 35-100. The focus is slow and, at times in low light, unreliable, so manual focusing is sometimes necessary. It's also large and might require a monopod.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The size and weight of the 45-175X is absolutely stunning. Optics are average, power zoom is not wonderful, build is meh, reach is not that much. I gather the 100-300 is fairly nice for a consumer zoom, but 100 is way too long a starting point for me.

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    This might sound odd, but the Oly 40-150 is excellent! very sharp and works great with the OM-D. It was on sale for $99! Unbelievable, I paid a lot more for it, but I'm glad I got it. You might want to check it out.

moon-150mm.JPG

P2060323-c.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    What are you looking to shoot?

The Pan 100-300 is great, but starts at 100mm (200mm eq 35mm). That might be too long, but at around $400 it's a great option. The Oly 40-150 that was just on sale for $100 is a great bang for the buck. The mid range almost after thought bargain might be the Pan 45-200 which seem to go on eBay for anywhere from $150-$200 depending on condition.

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    How long of a reach is "telephoto" for you?

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver92b, my 40-150 copy arrived tonight and I hope it's as nice as yours when I test it for the first time tomorrow.

10. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Didn't I just recently read that Olympus will be releasing a new version of the 70-300 for about $549 next month?

That might meet your needs.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The 40-150 is a fine lens, but the 100-300 is wonderfully versatile and well worth the difference in size and weight. I love mine. :cool:

12. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks people.

I forgot to point out that in principle would need to make a film behind, so I will be from a distance to portray scenes.

From what I see, the 100-300 is the best option.