1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adorama...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I know they are some kind of sponsor or something, but their shipping service leaves a lot to be desired. They're using some third party service called Streamlite that posts progress, but it isn't confirmed by the Post Office (shipper chosen at ordering). Streamlite shows the the PO has it, but PO has no record. I ship probably a 100 packages a year using USPS with little to no issue, and the tracking seems to always be accurate.

Just an FYI for anyone using Adorama.

2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    They do this service that transfers from UPS to the local PO, it seems to add a day or two to the delivery. I live 30 miles away but when I have had some items shipped it can take 3 or 4 days. B&H does free shipping if you have an NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) membership and I receive the items next day.

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Yeah, it seems I paid a little extra to slow it down.

I've let my membership lapse. That's a good reason to renew...

Thanks!

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Between free shipping and software discounts my NAPP membership pays for itself. I have been to a few PhotoShop Worlds too. Being so close to NYC I will often go to B&H or Adorama once a month or so as they have good seminars at both venues. While the seminars are often free it sometimes costs me $ once I start browsing the store. Adorama charges $25 but then gives it back in a store credit but of course I always buy something way more than $25.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    I'm sorry that you've had an unsatisfactory experience with shipping from Adorama.

Streamlite is offered as either a free or economic option for customers who prefer not to pay for UPS shipping.
    However, UPS is still available for customers who prefer it. To Florida you will generally be offered the following options:

* Super Saver (7-10 Business Days) FREE
    * Standard Shipping 3-5 Business Days
    * UPS 3 Day Select
    * UPS 2 Day Air
    * UPS Next Day Air

BTW, NAPP membership also gives you free shipping from Adorama!

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to email me directly if you need advice or after-sales support at any time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks, Helen.

To clarify our site's relationship with Adorama, we are part of their affiliate program, which means that if we link to their products using a special code, purchases made after getting to Adorama via that link result in a small percentage revenue share paid to me. I added Adorama as an affiliate partner because my personal buying experiences from Adorama (as well as B&H and Amazon) have been very positive. They do not, however, directly sponsor the site in the traditional way. Our only sponsor in that sense is Lensbaby.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    If I had known Adorama used a third-party service for shipping, I would have ordered elsewhere. I was offered free shipping on the site, but opted to pay a little more for "standard shipping" (as opposed to sub-standard?). To do so in hindsight was a complete waste, and I don't appreciate it. In Adorama's defense, I assumed, and that never goes well when ordering online.

I'd prefer (and will henceforth look for) my chosen vendors to list shipping by shipper and their named service, like "USPS Priority" or "UPS Ground" and then stick to their "order by six and it is shipped" motto. Then I can track it using the courier's tracking. Streamlite has shown the package in my home town at my Post Office for going on three days, but the USPS tracking number isn't recognized by USPS. Introducing a third party between you and your customers must save you an awful lot to risk customer satisfaction on their performance.

I've learned my lesson though, and it won't happen to me again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    By the way, at the end of the day, it isn't and earthquake or a tsunami, and doesn't really place anywhere in the grand scheme of things. Just annoyance that good customer service is dead or dying. Too many businesses get by with it because too few customers step up and call them out.

9. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    An excellent suggestion which I will be forwarding to our management team today, thank you - please email me! HelenO@adorama.com

• Like Like x 3
  10. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    on another note, i'm actually from california, but find myself in hong kong on a 6 month project. i ordered a lens the other day from adorama and it shipped via ups and arrived here, problem free, in three days. not sure what's going on with domestic shipping but adorama's int'l service was absolutely stellar.

Andrew.

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Another convolution... I ship and buy from Hong Kong regularly with no issue whatsoever. I can get shipments to and from HK as quick as most places in the US. Two countries get packages here much faster than I can get packages to them... Canada and Australia. Getting packages TO Canada is the slowest by far, but I GET them s quickly as from within the US. Odd. This is mostly using USPS Priority Mail, BTW.

I appreciate the big houses like Adorama, B&H, and Calumet. But I don't appreciate so much to get the order, and so little after.

12. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I have no complaints about Adorama's shipping to me in Australia - fast with tracking.

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Initially the free shipping options from so many online businesses were great - they would often arrive the same way as if you'd paid for ground (usually depending on item weight of course).

Unfortunately over the last couple of years the 'free shipping' option has become quite undesirable, employing either outside services, or ultra cheap options such as fedex smartpost (packages could take a month or more). To push the thorn in just a little further, if you return your item you'd be deducted an exorbitant amount for the 'free shipping.'

The bright side is now sites are often offering discounted rates on the better shipping options (for instance I was looking at a $600 lens at BH with free shipping, but 2nd day air is only $6.25). In the end you'll get your item quicker with the traditional options, even if they do cost a small sum!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I went to an Adorama store once in NYC in the 80s. They were so rude that it was clear to me they did not need my business and I never went back and never will. But these NYC photo Walmarts like B&H and Adorama survive by shifting stock. Don't expect anything from them and only order what you know--these are not the places to ask for advice about products or even to get information on products. You need to be an educated consumer. They are good places IF everything goes right. Once a mistake is made, it is a bottomless pit of frustration--and that goes for all of these places including B&H.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'd have to second that one. One of my worst photo experiences was a visit to B&H. I had to wait in a long line to be called on to approach the counter.

BUT, as also stated, if you know what you want and aren't in a hurry...

16. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks Andrew! If I can explain; because you are overseas you selected UPS shipping - Streamlite is only offered as either a free shipping or standard shipping option (see my post above)

Thank you!

We can ship the films USPS, although if a package is mislaid in transit you will have to wait 45 days before submitting a lost parcel claim. If the value of the goods is over $100 US, the excess isn't covered by insurance at all, and this does not include customs clearance or customer brokerage.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm not sure what all the excitement is about here....is the package lost? I must be missing something. A representative from the company has responded twice offering help and all I see is complaining about the death of customer service. Internet fora are strange places.

• Like Like x 2
  18. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    Ouch!:confused:

You said you went to "an Adorama store"; we've only ever had one store as it is a family-owned business, and that is in NYC. I can only apologize for the poor level of service you received 20 - 30 years ago, but please assurred that the business as it is run today bears little resemblance to the business back then.
    For example, as recently as June 2005 Adorama was only worth a miserable 3.75 / 10 at resellerratings. Today we're up to 9.50 / 10. Still a way to go, but headed in the right direction!

In terms of customer service, I would hope that my presence here, and on numerous other forums, speaks volumes about Adorama's commitment to customer care.

• Like Like x 4
  19. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, Luke. Many thanks, HelenOster for doing your best to address some people's complaints.

In my opinion as a consumer, I think the best way to address an issue that one has with a company is to contact them directly and work from there. No company is infallible - and neither is anyone I know.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Being one who shops at both Adorama and B&H for about as long as they have been around I have to say that some of the previous posts about them being an undesirable place to shop are way off mark. Both stores have evolved over the years and are generally pleasant places to shop. They don't push items on you or rush you and are happy to bring up items even if you don buy them. Visiting these shops on a Sunday morning is the most crowded time but most other times its not bad, hey its New York. Even the staff of these shops today is ethnically and gender diverse, something that wasn't so only a few years ago.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.