Adorama trade experience?

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
While I have sold numerous items on Ebay, currently I monitor the Fredmiranda site "for sale" tab and there seems to be a lot of X-E2's for sale and that have been sold recently with sold prices around $275-290. If I was to sell off forum that is where I would go and I may list the X-M1 and X-T10 bodies I have for sale on that site.

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
While I have sold numerous items on Ebay, currently I monitor the Fredmiranda site "for sale" tab and there seems to be a lot of X-E2's for sale and that have been sold recently with sold prices around $275-290. If I was to sell off forum that is where I would go and I may list the X-M1 and X-T10 bodies I have for sale on that site.
I think your price range is about right for the x-e2 on the individual market. I think it's closer to $375-$400 on the used retail market.

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
Update : I received the x-e2 today. Adorama returned it two day air. It was very well packaged. I checked the sensor for the scratches or dirt, but couldn't see any. I went outside to check it under sunlight and was able to see what appeared to be a few micro abrasions near the edges of the sensor. I could only see them when I held the sensor at an angle that gave me maximum reflection from the sunlight. I'm convinced any sensor that has ever been cleaned will have a few of this type of micro abrasion. I will not be sending any more items to Adorama. In contrast, I traded a lens to B&H the same week with zero issues. I also just completed a trade with MPB and had zero issues.

JoJo Gunn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan Gunn
I do not deal with Adorama....period. In over 30 years, I have never had a problem with B&H except for ignorance on my part.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I can't say that I've ever sold anything to Adorama (or B&H, KEH, etc.), but I have purchased from them used before, and been very happy with the condition of the item relative to how it was rated.

Honestly, there's not much in it between Adorama and B&H, with the exception of B&H's expedited shipping on orders over $49, which it seems you need to sign up for Adorama's VIP360 program at $49.99 a year to get the same sort of thing (granted, there are some differences like no order minimum for 2-day shipping, drops & spills coverage, extended return window with free shipping).

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I can't say that I've ever sold anything to Adorama (or B&H, KEH, etc.), but I have purchased from them used before, and been very happy with the condition of the item relative to how it was rated.

Honestly, there's not much in it between Adorama and B&H, with the exception of B&H's expedited shipping on orders over $49, which it seems you need to sign up for Adorama's VIP360 program at $49.99 a year to get the same sort of thing (granted, there are some differences like no order minimum for 2-day shipping, drops & spills coverage, extended return window with free shipping).
On the few previously owned items I have done price checking, Adorama has always been at least 5-8% higher on price when they have a similar quality item as B&H. (My most recent check was for a Fuji X-T2) I think I have done this comparison on six or seven cameras in the past three years and in all cases, when I purchased I purchased from B&H.

davidzvi

Real Name
David

Bought from both as well. No issues. Never sold anything back to either. I prefer B&H simply because I'm a PPA member and they give me a discount + free expedited shipping on all orders.

wayne

Mu-43 Regular
Years ago I sent Adorama a Nikon flash I wanted to sell. They came back with a price I wasn't happy with and told them to send it back.
When I got it back it was missing the box, pouch, and instruction manual.
That was the last time I dealt with them.
On the other hand B&H has always been great to deal with.

HelenOster

Mu-43 Regular
Years ago I sent Adorama a Nikon flash I wanted to sell. They came back with a price I wasn't happy with and told them to send it back.
When I got it back it was missing the box, pouch, and instruction manual.
That was the last time I dealt with them.
I'm so very sorry to see this - if you can email me: Helen@adorama.com with any additional details I will follow up and see what I can do.

HelenOster

Mu-43 Regular

Actually, Adorama's regular service also offers free expedited (1-3 business day) shipping on numerous items.

The Adorama VIP 360 program, offers:
  • Free Drops & Spills warranty on all purchases during active membership
  • Free 2 day Guaranteed Delivery - or less - on VIP360 items
  • 60 day return policy with free return shipping
  • VIP discounts
  • Special access to purchase products which aren't available elsewhere on the website
  • AdoramaPIX coupon code for Free 8X10 metal print
  • Monthly Contests
  • Free returns online and in store

HelenOster

Mu-43 Regular
On the few previously owned items I have done price checking, Adorama has always been at least 5-8% higher on price when they have a similar quality item as B&H. (My most recent check was for a Fuji X-T2) I think I have done this comparison on six or seven cameras in the past three years and in all cases, when I purchased I purchased from B&H.
I would love to get an example. I'm actually surprised to see this as we always consciously make every effort to price our gear cheaper than both B&H and KEH. (Neither have available an Xt2 now). Possibly you didn’t compare with the same grade level?

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would love to get an example. I'm actually surprised to see this as we always consciously make every effort to price our gear cheaper than both B&H and KEH. (Neither have available an Xt2 now). Possibly you didn’t compare with the same grade level?
I agree with you on this Helen. Adorama's prices tend to be lower than the other two mentioned on used equipment.

Edit: I've edited the title to try and prevent this thread from being an Adorama bashing thread. I hope someone can chime in with a good trade experience.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
Some years ago I monitored the prices on Pentax K-5's and after several week's of monitoring the prices from both Adorama and B&H, B&H consistently was selling previous owned K-5's for $25-55 less. I have recently been monitoring Fuji X-T2's. I can only go by the rating system used by the two stores and B&H has been under Adorama. Now somebody might say the cameras were not equal but that statement cannot be made accurately unless you the buyer actually have both in hand at the same time which we know is impossible so we have to go by the stores rating system. Using their own rating systems B&H prices for used X-T2's has been between $1299 and $1440 with quite a few around $1350-1390. Every time I have checked the Adorama prices have been around $1445-1495. That is not to say that Adorama has not sold one at $1299 but I have not seen it.

HelenOster

Mu-43 Regular
Some years ago I monitored the prices on Pentax K-5's and after several week's of monitoring the prices from both Adorama and B&H, B&H consistently was selling previous owned K-5's for $25-55 less. I have recently been monitoring Fuji X-T2's. I can only go by the rating system used by the two stores and B&H has been under Adorama. Now somebody might say the cameras were not equal but that statement cannot be made accurately unless you the buyer actually have both in hand at the same time which we know is impossible so we have to go by the stores rating system. Using their own rating systems B&H prices for used X-T2's has been between $1299 and $1440 with quite a few around $1350-1390. Every time I have checked the Adorama prices have been around $1445-1495. That is not to say that Adorama has not sold one at $1299 but I have not seen it.
I passed on your comments to the Used Department Manager (You are aware that we will always make every effort to price match to equally reputable retailers on all goods, new and used?......even going a little below if we can!)

Mu-43 Legend
OK, I just sold 2 items to KEH. What I didn't understand is that it took about 4-5 calendar days for them to get the item, and they are telling me now (I should have asked before I guess) that it takes them 2 weeks to process the item.

So, 3 weeks to find out if my "quote" is accepted.

I don't think selling to ANY of these guys is a very good experience. Next time, I'll just take a mu-43 or FredMiranda low-ball offer and call it a day!

edit: see my update on KEH here: Adorama trade experience?

Turned out to be a positive experience.

Last edited:

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
OK, I just sold 2 items to KEH. What I didn't understand is that it took about 4-5 calendar days for them to get the item, and they are telling me now (I should have asked before I guess) that it takes them 2 weeks to process the item.

I don't think selling to ANY of these guys is a very good experience. Next time, I'll just take a mu-43 or FredMiranda low-ball offer and call it a day!
I just sold a bunch of gear to KEH and my experience went well. They tell you up front that it takes up to 10 business days for them to evaluate your gear, and mine was completed before then. They ended up paying me $15 dollars less than quoted, but that was less than 4% less than I was quoted. My check arrived a few days later.

--Ken

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Edit: I've edited the title to try and prevent this thread from being an Adorama bashing thread.

To be fair, this thread is about selling used equipment to large retailers, so it is a rather different experience then online shopping to BUY from these same retailers, especially new stuff where there is no subjective opinion on the condition of the items.

That said, I have purchased a few things from Adorama in the past and have been happy with my experience. I am also a big fan of their private labeled "Flashpoint" line of photography equipment as I think like Amazon.com "AmazonBasics" private label stuff that you can get items (especially those things you are not sure if you are going to be a big user of (read: studio flash equipment for example)) for a very good price but knowing in this case that budget pricing doesn't mean complete junk if they they are putting it under their house brand label.

Last edited:

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro

I just completed a trade deal with Mpb.com. Within an hour of getting the notification that they received the item, they had inspected it and contacted me to finalize the deal. I was amazed. My other two recent dealings with b&h (which went well) and Adorama (not so much..) took nearly a week to get inspected. Plus one for MPB.

Mu-43 Legend
I just completed a trade deal with Mpb.com. Within an hour of getting the notification that they received the item, they had inspected it and contacted me to finalize the deal. I was amazed. My other two recent dealings with b&h (which went well) and Adorama (not so much..) took nearly a week to get inspected. Plus one for MPB.

I'll have to try MPB next time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom