Adorama trade experience?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Christop82, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    I just spoke with Isaac from Adorama. He told me my trade value for the body I sent in was half of what I was quoted. I asked why and he stated that the sensor was either very dirty or scratched. This has left me both disappointed and confused. The sensor was excellent prior to shipping the camera. I told him to send it back. After waiting a week for the quote, I now have to wait several more days to see what the condition of the camera is. I also sent a lens to B&H at the same. Zero problem there. They issued me a check for the exact amount quoted.
    Anyone with a similar experience? I really hope they wouldn't return my camera damaged.

2. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 16, 2014
    He couldn't tell the difference?

Haven't traded to Adorama, but I had a bad experience selling a couple old ipads to Amazon. They tried to lowball based on b.s. claims and I told them to send them back. Which they did. In a tyvek envelope, resulting in the formerly pristine boxes being pretty heavily beaten up.

• Sad Sad x 1
  3. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    "Very dirty or scratched" that is what he said. I've avoided selling anything to Amazon, too many poor experiences that have been well documented.

4. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    I have no doubt that he said that, I just wonder how he didn't know the difference. I hope they didn't f' it up for you and they'd just misevaluated it.

My amazon sale experience was some number of years ago, I wouldn't touch them again. Apple stuff goes to MacMeAnOffer. Camera stuff usually to KEH, but they're somewhat local and I can drive over and hand them stuff in person. I did just send something to MPB (forum member/sponsor) and will see how that goes.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had a couple with Amazon, where the price they gave me on a very clean, mint item was lowered than the top amount they showed on the website. Generally speaking, I'd prefer to outright sell an item than to burn the days of shipping it into a store for a quote, only to wait for it to come back after the lowball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You're giving away a lot trading in vs. selling here or ebay/craiglist etc. My $.02. Why bother adding a middle man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Sometimes there just are not people looking to buy what you are selling. And ebay is a mess, craigslist sketchy.

I offered some adapted lenses here multiple times and had little interest. I turned around and sold to KEH. While I didn't like their offer on one of the lenses, I was able to negotiate.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    I have found the certain items bring more when trading. Very rare, but on occasion it happens.

9. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I've bought and sold many lenses/cameras on ebay and a few on Craigslist, never had a single issue. Surely a few bad things happen to some people, but that can happen anywhere. Plus we have buy/sell here, but I find I fare better on ebay selling usually.

10. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    Some certainly, “a lot” can depend on the item. Many buyers here and at FM are savvy and know what the trade-in and net values are. eBay and craigslist have their own issues in terms of risk and CL tire kickers.

Selling to a reseller vs. selling it yourself is the usual trade-off of your time against money. Which path makes the most sense depends on the individual.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Sure...but it takes 5 min to list an item on ebay and 5 min to pack/ship. Same amount of time to ship for a trade-in and not deal with lowball or return, that might set you back additional time. Even if you sell it below market value, you'll come out ahead and sell it faster (item dependent).

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sorry to hear about this issue. If this doesn't resolve out well, I would send a message to Helen Oster who is an Adorama rep. She monitors the boards here from time to time, and hopefully she may be able to assist you.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  13. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Thanks, maybe I will. My main concern at this point is the current condition of the body. If it's fine once I receive it then it's only time lost and lesson learned. If it's damaged..... I'm not sure what I can do about it.

14. gpburdell

Jul 16, 2014
    I've been on ebay for seventeen years and have bought & sold plenty of gear there as well as on Fred Miranda. Your "5 minutes" claim is specious on both counts. Shipping time is the same of course, and the risk of a low ball offer exists just as does the risk of a slimy buyer claiming item-not-as-described and scamming you. In my case, I can also just decide to have lunch over near KEH and drop stuff off in their hands if that's what fits my need at the time.

Keep on doing what works for you and let others do what works for them.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    So sorry to see this - can you email me : Helen@adorama.com so I can help?

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  16. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Email sent.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Stay away from Amazon. If a camera has a few minor paint chips it will be labeled badly scratched. You will get practically nothing.These people don't realize that this attitude bleeds over to their entire organization.

• Like Like x 1
  18. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Did you insure the package? If it left your hands in excellent condition but showed up damaged, I would be making a claim.

19. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Adorama pays for the shipping and insurance
    Update : Just got a call from Adorama. Not sure who I spoke with. They said " the dirty or scratched sensor may not be not be noticeable to the average user and would not have any effect on image quality."
    I was thinking they were getting ready to offer me the original value I was quoted which is 70% of the current market value of $400. I was wrong. He proceeded to say " We can offer you $140 for it. Maybe $160. We suggest you sell it privately. "
    They did say they would expedite the return and I should have it in two days. This was definitely not worth the hassle. I'm still not sure about the sensor...

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I guess an answer is better than not having one. Just curious, what body were you trying to sell?

--Ken