Adorama E-P3 kit - $349

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by madogvelkor, Jun 23, 2013.

1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    What is or was the 'regular' price for this kit?
    Seems like a great m4/3 starter kit.
  2. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    very tempting indeed.... found a refurb one for $299 but body only... for $50 more and brand new, this is an excellent deal
  3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Used can be had in the $250s or less!
  4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    It's a buyer's market for E-P3s these days. The folks who buy premium PENs are pre-ordering their E-P5s. I just bought a used E-P3 and it's very nice. It didn't improve autofocus speed as much as I'd hoped, compared to my E-PL2, but the color rendition is very good.
  5. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    At this price, it's almost too good to pass up. It even makes me reconsider the EP5 since at $1k for the body, you have to wonder how long before the price comes down since the msrp for the EP3 was $899 . I know it's a model year older but at over 50% off msrp for a good camera, it's an excellent value.
  6. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, I pulled the trigger on this one... the only hard part was deciding between a silver or black one... my pany 14mm is grey and the Oly 40-150 is silver... oh well, I decided to go with the black one... hope it gets here by Friday for me to get familiar with it..... now try to scour ebay for a viewfinder... vf-2 or vf-3
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Just curious - why are people getting this instead of the cheaper Gx1 that has a better sensor?
  8. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    Just on top of my head, I would say better LCD, IBIS, better JPEGs, better skintones, live highlight blinkies. And this is coming from someone who has owned both. Although the sensor on the E-P3 isn't that great and can get blotchy in low-light, you quickly realize that sensor model isn't everything.
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    there could be as many different reasons as their tastes in cameras. Viva la difference! :drinks:
  10. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    here are my reasons in taking the EP3 over the GX1 (which i seriously considered)....
    1. ergonomics - I've been able to handle an EP3 and I like how it's laid out.... fn buttons as well as the dials are very intuitive. not able to try out a GX1 but by the looks of it, it's limited to the d pad and a few buttons...
    2. Build quality - I was fairly impressed with the build quality of the EP3 as far as heft and construction. The feel of the materials are a good indication to me that it will last for a while... my only experience is with a Pana G3 and it was fairly plasticky to me.
    3. OLED screen - again, it's just a really nice screen considering the price.... touch screen as well (not sure if the GX1 is)....
    4. IBIS - I'm mainly going to use this as a travel compliment to the Fuji x100s... I've already allocated an Oly 40-150 lens for it and I'm certain that the IBIS would be a welcome feature when it's stretched out to the max focal length
    5. Lastly, Brand loyalty - I've had an EPL1 and an OMD and I'm quite familiar with the quirky menus of Olympus.... I like their colors (in jpg) and am very comfortable in how maleable their raw files are....
  11. fishburp

fishburp New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2013
    If you bought this for $349, it has since dropped to $299. You can get a store credit for the difference by calling them.
  12. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I think the sale is today only, so act fast!
  13. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    just called and had them credit me back the $50..... so cool.... and to add to that, I'm waiting for the UPS man as I type this to take delivery of my EP3....
  14. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    just got my $299 EP-3 kit... I already put on the Pany 14mm f/2.5 Now just to update the firmware and get familiar with this thing... sweet deal...