Adorama: Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Inkjet Photo Printer $59

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Hard to say, as there are a lot of variables. I have a couple colors that run out sooner, depending on my printing.

I have a chart of printing costs based on size and paper, but basicly it is 8x10s about a buck for ink, 11x14 and 11x17 between $1.50 and $2.00 per, and 13x19 about $2.70 each.
Those numbers match my calculations as well. And that is for OEM ink. Add paper cost and then factor in the ability to take full control of your creative process and explore paper choices. We brought one to share between 3 photographers and it has worked out easily. Bring your own paper and put money in a common pool for new ink. Simple.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How long do the prints last, though. I would like to print several pictures for archiving, but would sending it to a proper "printing service" be a better bet? I've not looked into any of this yet, so please forgive my ignorance.
A very long time indeed, just gotta stop the air getting at them...

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Digital photography, you need,
1 camera
2 computer
3 printer
Well I do anyways.
I’m on my 2nd printer now. MG7760.
Just a cheapie, but good enough for me.
My first one bit the dust as soon as I put refillable after market ink in it. I don’t think it was a coincidence. I won’t do that again. Buying a full set of inks for it, is an eye watering experience...

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well it is a mail-in rebate, not an instant rebate. So you would need to pay $308 now to get $250 back some time down the road. Generally mail-in rebates tend to be on the order of 2 months or so.

According to the rebate documentation, it's also a debit card, not a check, and good for 6 months (end of June 2019) after which you lose the remaining balance.

Mu-43 Legend
According to the rebate documentation, it's also a debit card, not a check, and good for 6 months (end of June 2019) after which you lose the remaining balance.
Ouch.
Well, already ordered. I guess I could buy an amazon gift card with the debit card.

Mu-43 Legend
Now shows $109 after rebate. Was there another rebate that expired?

When I looked, the Adorama price before rebate was $50 lower than at Amazon or B&H. So, I got it at Adorama. My guess is they put their base price back up $50 to match the others??

When I looked, the Adorama price before rebate was $50 lower than at Amazon or B&H. So, I got it at Adorama. My guess is they put their base price back up $50 to match the others??

Looks they changed the price. I suggest calling Adorama and asking them if they will match their earlier price. At this time of the year, they are pulling out all the stops (e.g., free 2 day shipping on some items etc.) so they might match it. Adorama had a special on some SD cards last month and by the time I talked myself into buying them, the price had gone up. However, I called and spoke to someone, and they matched their earlier price.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Now shows $109 after rebate. Was there another rebate that expired?
The rebates happen several times a year. Adorama often offers an extra discount for 1-3 days, which is how I ended up getting on without much time to think about it. But worked out great.

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ibought one about four years ago at that time I think it was $300 with a $300 rebate so basically the printer was free unfortunately it was removed after about three prints thanks to burglars ,but hey they left the paper so hopefully I can pick one up at the $50 price. BTW the three prints still look great. Also Jose is the guy to watch for tips as noted by Wisertime. Also I think it did take a few months for the rebate.

TetonTom

Mu-43 Regular
This is a great deal. I bought one with the same rebate deal last year. I've made around 20 full 13x19 prints and my inks still show over half full. I figure even if I use the ink it shipped with and throw the whole lot in the dumpster it would still have been a great deal. (Of course I wouldn't throw it all in the dumpster... )

runner girl

Mu-43 Veteran
I have had this one for a long time. I love it. I buy the OEM ink and always get some free paper in the deal. At one point I had 8 (!!) boxes of 13x19 - gave a bunch away. Initially I printed directly from the LR print menu but recently found out about the Canon plug-in Print Studio Pro - it is MUCH easier to use. I also had an issue with wireless printing at one point - it lost the signal mid print and ejected the half done print. So... I just connected directly via USB cable.

Aperture Don

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've had the Pro 100 for a couple of years, and the predecessor before that. I've always bought them from people who purchased them with the rebate. I paid $75 for my current Pro 100 with about 75 sheets of 13x19 paper. Canon now has a great rebate on the Pro 10 as well, so I bought that for $100 after the rebate, but I had to pay $65 for shipping. I've got the 100 for sale on Craigs list for $110 including 9 extra new cartridges. So far, no bites. The 10 uses pigment based inks instead of dye based ink and is supposed to last longer, but the 100 printed spectacular images. The price for replacement ink is about $10 more for the Pro 10, but you get 10 cartridges instead of 8.

You can't go wrong with either printer, they're both great. One caveat, don't use longer than a 10 foot usb cable, or the printer won't hear you. I've never tried the wifi, and have never tried generic ink. With the last printer that I sold, the buyer wanted it for the print head because he used generic ink. I, personally, have never had a problem using the overpriced Canon ink. The printers are better for people who print on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I do not, and every time that I turn it on after a few weeks, it needs to sip another cartridge or two.

Mu-43 Legend
Oof. I should have done a bit more research. This thing is BIG and HEAVY. Yes, you can tell me the specs were easy to look up, and yes you can say "what did you expect from a 13X19 printer." It's all true and well deserved, but still. A warning to anyone looking at a "Free" or "$50" printer -- it's BIG! (and heavy).

Having said that, I just printed out two 5X7s on one 8 x 10 sheet, and they are gorgeous.

Last edited:

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I've had the Pro 100 for a couple of years, and the predecessor before that. I've always bought them from people who purchased them with the rebate. I paid $75 for my current Pro 100 with about 75 sheets of 13x19 paper. Canon now has a great rebate on the Pro 10 as well, so I bought that for $100 after the rebate, but I had to pay $65 for shipping. I've got the 100 for sale on Craigs list for $110 including 9 extra new cartridges. So far, no bites. The 10 uses pigment based inks instead of dye based ink and is supposed to last longer, but the 100 printed spectacular images. The price for replacement ink is about $10 more for the Pro 10, but you get 10 cartridges instead of 8.

You can't go wrong with either printer, they're both great. One caveat, don't use longer than a 10 foot usb cable, or the printer won't hear you. I've never tried the wifi, and have never tried generic ink. With the last printer that I sold, the buyer wanted it for the print head because he used generic ink. I, personally, have never had a problem using the overpriced Canon ink. The printers are better for people who print on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I do not, and every time that I turn it on after a few weeks, it needs to sip another cartridge or two.
I have had mine for several years. I live in a smallish apartment and keep the giant printer in the closet, using the Wifi. The wifi works fine although the printer itself has been having issues "seeing" the paper in the feed and picking it up. That's probably because it's normally several months between printing for me (I need to start printing more).

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Oof. I should have done a bit more research. This thing is BIG and HEAVY. Yes, you can tell me the specs were easy to look up, and yes you can say "what did you expect from a 13X19 printer." It's all true and well deserved, but still. A warning to anyone looking at a "Free" or "$50" printer -- it's BIG! (and heavy).

Having said that, I just printed out two 5X7s on one 8 x 10 sheet, and they are gorgeous.
What else can you buy for about $.70/lb shipped? :boohoo::coffee-30:;) Yeah it's pretty big and about 35lbs, but worth it. I just happened to have a table that fits it perfectly I can tuck in the corner and store stuff under it. Now you're replacement cartridges will be on the order of $333/lb and most of that is plastic...haha. The bigger prints are just stunning. And try the Pro Platinum paper sometime. It's on a whole nuther level. Enjoy your new printer!

Canon sells smaller sample packs that have about 5 sheets of each type of paper to try. In my case I ended up buying more of all of them to experiment. Glossy works great for some things and Matte better for others. Just a matter of Taste.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
At that price, VERY tempting, but I just don't print enough. The ink cartridges would go dry on me, before I used it up.

Yipe, 27.2 x 15.2 inches desk space, and 43.2 pounds.
That is a lot of desk space in a crowded office.
The old saying, "stuff expands to fill the available space."

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom