1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Adorama: Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Inkjet Photo Printer $59

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, Dec 20, 2018.

1. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Buying one of these was one of the best decisions I ever made ($49 shipped AR). Far exceeded expectations. The papers are great too and preferable to labs I have used.

Yeah the ink is expensive (who's isnt?), but you can save buying on ebay or using precision inks (I haven't yet, but you can get a lifetimes' worth of ink for the same as what the regular OEM cost and people say good things about it).

3. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    I paid about twice that earlier this year, but it was also one of my better decisions.
    Learning how, and successfully printing large photos, has taken my enjoyment of this hobby to a new level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Regular

5. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How long do the prints last, though. I would like to print several pictures for archiving, but would sending it to a proper "printing service" be a better bet? I've not looked into any of this yet, so please forgive my ignorance.

6. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    A few other questions -- it says "wifi" so this can be setup as a wifi network printer? Also, does anyone have any idea how many prints you can get before having to buy more ink?

Lastly, I've been considering a color laser for office needs. Could this double for an occasional color print for paper needs, or is the ink just too expensive to consider such a move?

7. Bob T

Nov 8, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Canon says 30 years in normal room light, (not direct sun), 300 if stored correctly.
    ChromaLife100+

Yes, it will work as a Wi-Fi printer.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Bob T

Nov 8, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Hard to say, as there are a lot of variables. I have a couple colors that run out sooner, depending on my printing.

I have a chart of printing costs based on size and paper, but basicly it is 8x10s about a buck for ink, 11x14 and 11x17 between $1.50 and $2.00 per, and 13x19 about $2.70 each.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Hope they do this in the UK. It's £359 here. Got the TS8150 and it's an excellent printer.

10. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    It's highly rated. I haven't seen any fading in my prints in the 4 or so years I've had it and I sell them locally without complaint. On the other hand I've gotten prints from pro labs that have faded over 10-15 years or turned purple shade from Black/white (not many but one or two).

Surprisingly I find the premium papers are better quality overall (image, feel, pop) than stuff I've gotten elsewhere. Plus you can use Matte for a totally different look, depending on subject/taste.

11. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Think of it this way. For $59 + Free papers, it will pay for itself, if you decide not to continue using it (I doubt that). The ink is $90-125 to replace depending on your source. The paper is work something like $25-50, but you can sometimes get buy 1 get 3 or 4 free from canon direct promo.

For the price, you can print 30-50 8x10s and/or larger....less than getting a dozen prints from a lab....and the joy/learning in the process alone is worth it.

It is WIFI..so no cable required (except for set up). If you decide not to keep it you could sell it for $20 or part it out.

People buy the promo or get one free when buying cameras from canon and sell the ink/print head/printer body and make a profit. It's a no brainer for $59, even if you decided not to replace the ink.

12. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I do see the math! I just hate putting circuit boards into landfill, so I try not to buy things unless I know I will use them or there is a secondary market (like lenses).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    There is a secondary market. I do share your sentiment. Even though it works out mathematically to buy one sell the ink for $95, sell the print head for $100-125, the body for $20, the paper for $15 on craigslist, I wouldn't want to just toss the printer in the trash. I did think about getting a 2nd one to try the precision ink refills separately as a backup, but I'm trying to be more minimalist. I did buy a 2nd one and sold it for a profit (came w/camera/lens combo I also sold unopened)...so there is a market. I also sold off paper, because I had more than I could ever use from promos where I went crazy and stocked up. Was a win/win. Once you try the top tier papers, it's hard to go back to the standard (not that they are shabby in any way), but they are another level of awesomeness.

14. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm on my second Pro-100, and it's a great printer. The first one got creaky and dirty enough after a few years that I decided to just replace it whole. The ink will not get you through very many 13X19" sheets, but here's a life hack: use the 13X19" paper for smaller prints and just tell the computer you're printing on the desired size paper, then trim the paper after it prints. It's the only way I'll ever get through two big packs of 13X19"!

I used the Precision Inks refill kit, and it's a little janky, messy and not a lot of fun to fill. It's the cheapest possible way to keep on printing, but I would probably recommend the cheaper generic cartridge sets you can get on eBay, at least to try. I bought those as a refill for my new printer but haven't used them yet. The Precision refill wasn't completely spot-on with color, specifically with blue, but it was close enough for government work.

15. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, I pinged my wife and she said she would like it, so one's on it's way. We talk a lot about printing, but never do, so maybe this will change that a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Did you buy the full precision kit with the empty cartridges? Filling the OEMs is probably a pain I'd guess. I'd be weary of the ebay ones that are prefilled personally. I'm only considering precision, because I've read reviews...but I haven't been printing that much yet to bother.

This guy has done a lot of testing of inks/papers/printers...good resource for setting up/hacking your pixma pro 100.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I just did the refill kit where I refilled my OEM cartridges. It's doable but annoying - I refilled them two or three times.

18. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I think I'd get the full kit with the clean cartridges just to avoid the hassle of cleaning up old dry ones. I seem to recall that they (or other) recommended using OEM yellow, because it hasn't been perfected yet.

19. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oh man, I just ordered this printer, and now you guys are talking about hacking the printer, refilling cartridges, etc? I need easy, man! No time for hacking :p 

• Funny Funny x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.