1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Adopted 35mm lenses characteristics ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dee, Feb 28, 2012.

1. dee

dee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    London Far South
    I am baffled by some factors of using Minolta SR lenses on m-43 [ Panasonic G1 ]
    Back in the day , a 24mm lens had built in distortion due to the limitations of design [ 1970s ]

When cropped to 48mm nom , do these distortions remain or does it actually perform as 48mm would on 35mm ?
    A 24 Rokkor has great DOF - would this be the same when cropped by 50% ?

It's mindblowing to me that 14mm zooms are commonplace , helped by the use of sensors smaller than 35mm and advanced computer designs .

Can someone help with this ?

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    In fact you use only a part of the image compared to FF (short for the 24x36mm image dimensions). The distortion in that part is the same as when you would crop the FF image, but it will be more visible because you have to enlarge the MFT image more to get to the same print size. I also have 2 Minolta 24mm models and I don't find them particularly distortion-free on my GH2.

The DOF of a 24mm on a film camera is larger than a 24mm on an MFT camera because the MFT image has to enlarged more to get to the same print size and so unsharpness shows up earlier.
    That said, a 24mm on MFT has the same angle-of-view as a 48mm on a FF camera, but the DOF of 24mm on MFT is larger than that of a 48mm on FF. It's a common complaint that it's more difficult to get selective sharpness with an MFT camera; as a landscape and macro photographer I couldn't be happier, I want as much DOF as I can get.

This subject can trigger a lot of discussion as the past has shown. There is no equivalency of focal lengths in all respects between various formats. You can talk about equivalent angle-of-view, comparable DOF, etc., but ultimately each format has its own characteristics. I really had to adjust when going from FF film to APS-C (Nikon D200) and again when moving to MFT.

I agree, the progress in zoom lens designs is incredible. My first wide-angle zoom was a Sigma 10-20mm for the D200 and I couldn't believe my eyes. First of all, 10mm on DX is W-I-D-E! And the IQ blew me away. Now we are fortunate enough to get the option to choose between a 9-18mm and a 7-14mm for MFT, with incredibly good IQ to boot.

• Like Like x 1