1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adobe's "NEW" Cloud Model for the Casual Shooter

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CarlG, Sep 5, 2013.

1. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Just Announced: Photoshop and Lightroom Bundle for $9.99 a Month | Fstoppers

Not sure I'm thrilled with this newer model, for the hobbyist/casual shooter. You'd be locked in for life, giving up any perpetual licensing rights to currently owned versions. Plus if you were to discontinue your membership for even a month, you go to the back of the line and forced to pay the higher monthly premiums.

The dust still needs to settle on this one, me thinks.

2. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    Considering that I just paid for LR 5 and haven't felt the need for PS in years I think I'll be fine for now. ;)

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'll admit that it's tempting, but to be honest I don't really use photoshop very much at all. I currently have PSE11 ($85) and Pixelmator ($15), and to be honest I feel that both were a waste of money. I tried both to see if I'd be willing to spend the time to do that level of editing, or if I actually needed CS6 PS. Now days I do almost all of my editing in LR5 + the SRLounge preset system, with maybe a bit in Nik software.

For the price point, I feel that it's reasonable if you use both PS and LR, and I may be tempted to go for it when LR6 comes out instead of a straight purchase... but for now, why bother.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've made my peace with PS Elements.

5. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    I noticed that this community here are mostly novice shooters that don't utilize software programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom. For those that do, this is a big deal. Yes, there will be someone that suggests I/we use this program/that program. But there are many of us that are so ingrained in Photoshop, it's all we know and use.

6. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    The problem is if you wait past 12/31, you don't get in. You can't decide in February to jump onto the $10/mo bandwagon. I hear you, though - to each his own.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The key thing for me as an amateur is that there is only so much I'm willing to spend. There exists free software (never mind other companies) that does what I need. It's in my best interest to learn something new and put the money towards a lens. Of course, aside from raw processing and touch up what do I really need?

8. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I just ordered LR5 at $99 to upgrade from LR3. With LR, I find I use my PSE5 less and less. I don't upgrade software until there's a really whiz-bang feature I need. So I have no interest in paying $10 per month. I'll just keep enjoying my LR5.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    To be fair here, $10 a month isn't too bad. I pay $5 a month for Smugmug, after all.

10. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    It's not. But the day you give up the membership, even for a month, you can't get back in at the same price point.

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I think it's an awesome deal... I'll keep the full suite fwiw. But $10 /month is AMAZING. That's 10 years worth of PS for what a good enlarger cost back in the day.

12. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I have a copy of CS2 and it will do for the foreseeable future.

13. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    too bad you need to prove ownership of CS3 or newer to qualify.

14. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, I hate Adobe. They throw you a bone, but it turns out to be made of, I don't know, dirt.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Dirt is the polite choice.

16. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    not a bad deal if you are ok with the subscription model.
    personally, i just don't like it. i hate the idea of having to pay over and over again for the foreseeable future. i am fortunate enough to qualify for edu pricing so that makes a big difference. as such, $79 for LR3 a few years ago + a great deal on CS5.5 when Adobe had a brief 80% off sale right before CS6 came out and i feel pretty set for software. i can upgrade to the latest LR for another $79 when i need to and that is less than even one year's worth of the subscription. over the years i have found i just don't need to keep up with every PS release cycle. 5.5 is great at home, and at work, we're still on CS3! i use Photoshop & Illustrator primarily, Flash on occasion.

17. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    Memphis
    Derek
    I have the new Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 that I under-utilize now. The price is the only reason I am even thinking about it. I have never really paid much attention to CC because of price and my needs, so I will at least research it before the end of the year.

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If got PS CS5, which will probably handle my limited needs for PS.

The real value of this, for me, would be the online storage. Currently, I back up my images online, which costs money. But 20 GB is meaningless. I just checked, and I've got about 180 GB of raw and jpeg files in my LR Image folder.

19. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Other tidbits are coming to light (and confirmed by an Adobe rep) - the $10.00 monthly rate is an "introductory" rate for months 1-12. It will be "adjusted accordingly", by Adobe, after month 12.

Adobe - "BITE ME"!

20. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

A great idea from Adobe to counter all the negative flak they have received but i won't be buying into it. I have CS 5 and it is enough for me along with Apples Aperture and various plug ins. My limited photoshop use is more than catered for in CS 5.
    Looking forward to the next version of Aperture which hopefully will be released in the next few months, Aperture suits my method of working much better than Lightroom.