Adobe Student & Teacher - Anyone used this?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Phil B, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm looking at getting Lightroom via the Student & Teacher method and have a few questions if anyone has any experience with this method.

My step-son is in secondary education which fits qualification for this. I presume I will have to create an account with adobe (to be able to pay) and then send a copy of his ID for acceptance?

Is there any difference between the boxed version and the download? I take it that any documentation on the CD is also available either in the download or via the net?

Thanks

2. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I want to say that the main difference is that you aren't supposed to use the Student & Teacher editions of software to make a profit on anything made with the software. I remember reading this about another Student & Teacher piece of software.

Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm or deny my post.

Also, a lot of places only require an education/university e-mail address be used when making an account to get the education price.

3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, I believe you're correct!

I have used the student status to get Adobe Photoshop CS4, and will probably be getting CS5 by Christmas.

As for the OP's original question about downloading vs boxed, I always try to pick boxed, just in case the computer crashes + downloading a program this huge of a size, might take a while..

4. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I guess I could have read the questions more carefully...

I would go boxed as well, just so I will have a hard copy to re-install at a later date if my computer crashed or was severely damaged somehow. One piece of software for school I downloaded (Microsoft office 2007 for my Windows Partition) at a student discount, I was also able to get install discs sent to me for an extra fee. But I don't think Adobe does this.

5. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for the replies, I don't think getting the software at the student price is the problem.

I was wondering more about registration with adobe to get the license key. Do you know if the adobe account has to be in the students name? I don't want to make the account in my name, pay for the software, and then it not be valid when I send my step-sons proof of education to get the license key.

6. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC

Humm.. that is a question, you might want to ask Adobe or the actual company that does the authorization.

I've read horror stories about the company that does the authorization though.. Adobe does not actual verify that one is a student or not, its a different company that does it, and I read that they're service was horrible..

I didn't have any problems what so ever, but it may be because the account was in my name..

It might be safe to just go ahead and put the account into his name?

7. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Thanks, a little more research needed before I go ahead.