1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adobe setting on GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by alda, Sep 12, 2010.

1. alda

alda New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Hi...I just realized that there are 2 different adobe setting in GF1. Does anyone know what's the different between the two? Since I can't seem to find it in the manual book. If yes, which one is better when I shoot mostly on RAW? Oh I usually convert the RAW in LR and work the post process in Photoshop. Thanks a lot

2. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    I don't know about your GF1, but mine has only two choices and not two Adobe choices.
    One is sRGB which is the most common one found on cameras. The other is Adobe RGB.
    The difference is in the size of the color gamut. The Adobe RGB has a larger color gamut which in layman's terms simply means that it contains a wider range of color. I shoot Adobe RGB on my Leica, Nikon and GF1. If you post process in Adobe Lightroom or CS1 to CS5 or any other post processing software that can take advantage of the larger gamut, then set your camera to Adobe RGB. Otherwise, it probably won't make any difference which setting you use.

3. alda

alda New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Thanks Jim...you're right. It has only two choices of S-RGB & Adobe RGB and now I know the difference between the two. So I'll be using the adobe RGB too.

4. Michael E

Michael E Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2010
    Crawley England
    Countless numbers of people have encountered colour fidelity printing problems by using Adobe RGB. The best advice I've come across when deciding whether to use sRGB or Adobe RGB is - if you don't know the difference and have to ask - then you should be using sRGB.

5. just4fun

just4fun Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    if you use Adobe RGB, be sure to convert the profile of the image to SRGB before printing or put it on Digital picture frame... I got that wierd color before on Digital Picture frame before.
    IMO, just play safe, sRGB unless you do serious work.
    Sonny

6. PeteMarshall

PeteMarshall Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    If you are shooting RAW the colour space setting is irrelevant, RAW has no colour space until you output a finished image, sRGB is the standard for web images and also for most photographic printing where a accurate profile is not available. Adobe RGB is a wider space used for further image editing. RAW files from most sensors contain colours that go far beyond Adobe RGB let alone sRGB. In order to benefit from this applications such as Lightroom render RAW files in very wide colour spaces (in Lightroom a version of Kodak ProPhoto RGB called Mellissa). This will enable much smoother renditions of tonality to be made. When a final image is required it should then be exported with the appropriate colour space as stated above.
    If shooting jpgs then sRGB would be best for instant results, but if sending on to publishers then Adobe RGB may be requested.

7. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    "If you are shooting RAW the colour space setting is irrelevant..."
    Very true, Pete. That is why I shoot raw. But I still set my color space at Abobe RGB because I occasionally set it at RAW+jpg in my M8 and D300 and use the jpgs after CS5 post processing to e-mail, etc. I expect that I'll do the same with my new GF1.
    In any case, I was just answering Aida's question.
    Jim