Adobe Photoshop unblur...yeah, unblur

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by danimal, Apr 17, 2013.

1. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Looks like a bit of exciting technology is coming from Adobe in Photoshop.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stUD-DRhTZg]Photoshop Sneak Peek: See What's to Come - YouTube[/ame]

It looks like it could be impressive, but there's no telling how it will work in all situations. I guess we'll have to wait for May to see more.

2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Magic!

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I thought PS/CS6 already had an unblur function (I've tried to use it but was not very successful).

4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    There is something, but from what I can find this is an entirely new technology.

5. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    Like snkenai said MAGIC!!

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Focus magic

There is lots that can be done with sufficient computing power and the trade off of dynamic range for resolution (or vice versus).

The more one knows about the source of 'blur' the more effectively and efficiently it can be reduced. For example motion blur is different from defocus and the best tools for 'correcting' each is different.

7. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    And can they do this in reverse so we can reduce depth of field?

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There's several programs on the market that do this such as Alien Skins Bokeh and OnONe's perfect focus.

Gordon

9. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    My impression is that these programs use masking techniques to blur selected portions of the image. I'm wondering whether a program that can identify and de-blur out of focus elements of an image could also identify the blurred portion of an image and, rather than sharpen it, blur it further in proportion to its original blur. Are you aware of any programs that work that way? Seems like this could be very valuable to smaller format photographers.

10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Very impressive. This will probably make me upgrade.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No. A slightly out of focus image is a vey different beastie than the 'focus' blur from DOF. One can use a set of images at different focus positions to extend DOF (see axial deconvolution methods).

Theoretically if one knew the optical point spread function and the distance of each object in the field of view such a 'correction' would be possible - you can imagine such situations are exceptionally limited.

12. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio