1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13, upgrade from 9 or use Oly Viewer 3.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Help please.

The title says it all really, do I upgrade from Elements 9 to 13 or use Viewer 3.

TIA

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    To answer your specific question: PSEv13. A no-brainer.

However I think that you asked the wrong question. These two products perform different functions (some overlap). Oly V3 does perhaps the best job converting ORF. Hand off to PSE13 to edit. Or use the bundled ACR.

Now the next question is, "What do I use as an editor?" Lots of options here depending upon you needs. And there are several very capable free options that give PSE a run for the $¢£€¤¥.

3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Sorry I'm new to ORF can you please explain.
    Can I tweak ORF in Oly V3 and convert to JPG to edit, what is bundled ACR.
    Or can I not do all this, ORF tweaking, converting and editing in PSE13. camera ?
    Or what is the best way to get from ORF to an edited JPG.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    If you're going to use Elements 13, I'd suggest exporting images from OV3 as TIFs to retain as much flexibility for manipulation as possible. You can then do lots of work on the images with Elements without degrading them. Lots of folks here comment that OV3 conversions from ORF are better than LR; I imagine the same holds true for Elements.

5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I suggest that you "develop" the ORF file using OVv3 and export the file as a TIF which you can then open in PSE13 and make adjustments to taste. Finally convert to JPG if you wish.

Another option is to open in PSE which automatically pops up the ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) converter to do the developing. As stated above I think Oly Viewer does a better job but with a clunky interface.

Either gets you where you want to go. It's a personal preference.

6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks for that.

7. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    PacNWMike

Many thanks,
    Can I not complete the edit, crop etc, to the JPG stage in OV3?
    Why import the TIF into another editor ie PSE13, what benefits are there?

8. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Hello all, forgive my ignorance but are you talking stills or motion? I'm very new to motion capture and found this thread in the video section, so I'm a bit confused. If you are talking stills then this opens up a whole new can of worms for me.

I use Apple Aperture for my photo management and basic post production corrections and crops. While it says it has the E-m1 compatible profile I don't feel like I get the same latitude of adjustment as I do with my RAW Canon files... is this because I'm missing the step of importing through OVv3? What would the work flow be then? Would I import to my external through OV, then export the converted files to tif to a new folder, then import those into Aperture to catalog?

9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I went from PSE 6 to PSE 13. I don't care for the interface on 13 very much. I am slowly doing everything in Lightroom. While I don't love the interface, it's better than PSE 13.

And what the **** is with Adobe's file naming system? In PSE 6 and 13, I import everything to a year folder, 2015, then files within that are by year, month, date, 2015 01 29. In Lightroom I have to use a dash between everything, 2015-01-29. These are all Adobe products, can't we have a little consistency?

10. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    The jump from PSE 9 to 13 really is a no brainer. The advances are geometric!!