1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by boatman37210, Oct 14, 2013.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    I can get Elements 11 for $60. I have Olympus Viewer 3 which is free.

Elements 11 worth purchasing?

Thanks.

2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    If you regularly need more advance editing, it is a good choice. If you only do light retouching, Lightroom is much more efficient. Both have free trials and lots of great video tutorials.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Elements is excellent if you want to move beyond basic global editing. Just don't buy it from the Apple Mac store (if you're a Mac user) as the App store version isn't complete.

Gordon

4. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    I use both. I use OV3 to view and clean up my RAW files as well as some conversions to TIFF (its easier to find images than camera RAW in Elements) then elements to do detailed edits and enhancements.

They are fundamentally different products, aside from cost. OV3 is a parametric RAW editor, meaning it doesn't alter the pixel information permanently. Instead, it adds parameters/data to the file which alters the way the viewer application displays the image. It creates a seperate image file which its associated to the original but doesn't replace it. Elements and Photoshop alter the individual pixel data, meaning its possible to completely overwrite the original. The difference at a working level is the level of detail to which you can work. OV3 makes changes to the whole image view, whereas pixel editors make changes at the pixel level.

The more common question usually becomes Elements, Lightroom or Photoshop? I've only ever used Elements and Photoshop so others will need to give their views on other packages. I find elements perfectly adequate for my needs up to now. Which is editing and enhancing images for family use and the odd photo comp. No professional work. Therefore the hefty price tag on Photoshop is not justifiable for me (but then that's why Adobe developed Elements in the first place).

Matt

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Adorama eBay had it for $44.